Our first home-bred!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by pookshollow, May 17, 2006.

1. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

Gabriel was born last night at 7:30. I checked his mother, Angel, at 5 when I got home from work - no signs of impending labour. When I went out at 7 to feed, her amniotic sac was bulging out. When I came back in from feeding the horses, there was a hoof showing already. She lay down, gave a couple of good pushes and there he was. Picture perfect presentation and delivery - and her first time too!

Here he is:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Daddy was a Saanen, in case you couldn't guess!

Both are fine this morning. I weighed him, he's just over 8 lbs.

Any advice on milking out those itty-bitty teats? I tried this morning because her udder is fairly tight, but not much luck. I'll try again after work when I've got more time. Gabriel is nursing enthusiastically, and he is getting milk, I checked!

2. mammawof3

mammawof3 Well-Known Member

Congratulations! Nice looking animals-i would have guessed him alot bigger than 8 pounds!! Glad it all went easy for her-and you. :rolleyes: Yes, it is hard to milk out w/two fingers-sometimes you can put your whole hand on the udder, and kinda "milk" it, rather than just the tiny teats-these cases are when a "machine" would be handy! :p Good luck.........

3. cowgirlracer

cowgirlracer Well-Known Member

Wyoming & building a homestead in Kentucky
    Gabriel is beautiful, and so is Angel. Congrats! I love the Saanens, they are so mild mannered. All I can say on milking those little teats is that your first two fingers are gonna get real strong. IMO don't think it gets much better until the 3rd freshening, but I also don't usually milk but once a day - just too much to do when working 12 hr roating shifts! Enjoy!

Anne
    Cowgirlracer

4. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

He is ADORABLE! And so is his momma! CONGRATS on the little guy, and on everything going smoothly. Good Luck with him and his mama. BYe.