Our first Head Cheese

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Charleen, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

I've heard that the most delicious part of the pig is between the snout and the tail. :p

We sent 5 pigs to the butcher and a friend of ours asked for the heads. :1pig: He cooked 2 of them and made head cheese for us. I'd never had it before and found that it tastes similar to Kiszka; if you're Polish, you'll know what that is. I pressed it into a loaf pan and cut it into slices to freeze. I could taste the flavorful sage in it. Most people cringe when we tell them what we're eating, but I knew there'd be people on this forum that would be happy for us.

2. bare

bare Head Muderator

And the best part was, you didn't have to boil down the heads! Stinks up the whole house for days!

When I first started doing hogs, and in the interest of using up everything but the squeel, we made a lot of head cheese. Kinda gross stuff, but sure tastes good in a sandwich or fried with some eggs.

3. bare

bare Head Muderator

Next time you should try your hand at blood sausage.

4. Ozark-Dew

Ozark-Dew AMDG

From a very old (1881) cookbook:

Brains, soak brains in salt water, then peel the thin skin off. Boil for 30 minutes with a little salt in the water, drain off water, add 1 TBS butter and a little pepper.

Fried Brains: soak in salt water, peel the membrane off, put 1 TBS lard in skillet, when hot drop in brains and as they fry chop them up with spoon. When they have fried 10 minutes, break into skillet 5 eggs beaten for 2 hog brains or 1 beef brain. Add 1/2 teasp salt and little pepper, serve hot.

Brains: parboil brains rooll them in eggs well beaten, then in cracker crumbs and fry in hot fat.

scrapple: bake 2 hog heads, 2 tongues, 2 hearts, cook them perfectly tender, remove all the bones, mash meat, season same as sausage. then put meat in pot over fire, add 1/2 gal water or more if it seems too greasy. let come to a boil then stir in corn meal, until it thickens like mush. when sufficiently thick pour into bread pan to cool. cut in thin slices as needed. roll them in flour and fry same as mush.

liver wert
    1 liver boiled tender, same amount of head and feet after being boiled and bones picked out. grind all in meat chopper add 5 large chopped onions 2 Tablespoons salt, 2 teaspoons pepper, 1/2 teaspoon cloves and a little more grease and heat when serving.

souce
    cook an dprepare meat the same as for scrapple. you may add 8 feet put in a mold, let cool, then slice 1/4 inch thick, pour over it enough vinegar to cover. 2 teaspoons sugar, allspice if desired. let set 24 hr serve plain or with mayonaise dressing.

5. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

I'm happy for you Charleen!
    The heads look pretty gross on top of the stove, but the results sure are good. I like mine sliced and fried and with a splash of vinegar on top.

6. holleegee

holleegee Well-Known Member

I have a funny head cheese story...
    A friend of ours passed away and his wife asked my dad to go to her garage and take 2 five gallon buckets to the dump but DO NOT OPEN THEM! Well my dad opened them anyways....rotting pig heads!!! They had pigs butchered and planned on making head cheese but her husband had a heart attack that day and was in the hospital for about a week before he passed away. My dad learned if you are told not to open something...don't open it!!

I have had head cheese before and thought it was pretty good but I have never made it myself.