Our first garden!! How to fence? need ideas please!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Ark, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

OK folks! This is the year we have been waiting for. Our own land. Our own goats. Plenty of whitetail deer just waitin' on a salad bar!

The ground has been plowed. We've spent hours picking up rocks. The dirty hay from the goat shed has been added.

Now for the fence to keep goats and deer out.

We have on hand some 4 ft welded wire and t-posts. Would that be effective if we added a string or two of hot wire around the top?

We need to do this as frugally as possible. Hopefully we can get the tposts deep enough before we hit solid rock. :confused:

Ideas anyone??????????????????????

Thanks!
    Rachel

2. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't think that 4-ft fencing will stop the deer from jumping over, even with hot wire above it! They can jump pretty good!

3. Mr. Dot

Mr. Dot Well-Known Member

Howdy
    What I've done is to fence the garden with 4' field fence and driven t-posts. Then I wired 3~4"-ish x 8' cut saplings to the t-posts. Using those I strung a line of hot wire then a strand of barbed wire above then another hot wire at the top. As long as you have solidly installed corners and the fence line is pretty straight you can tighten these wires enough to do the job. Working for me so far (knock wood) and we are swimming in deer.

4. Randy Rooster

Randy Rooster Well-Known Member Supporter

I have used the 7 foot tall heavy plastic deeer fence with success. Its the cheapest that I have found and also the simplest to put up-

5. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

Oh!
    Sorry, I forgot to mention that I would put 2 or 3 strands of hot wire, all the way up to 8 feet.

When we lived in town we would watch the deer jump over a 7 ft fence to get into our neighbor's garden. There were more deer there in town than there are out here!

To save money we are considering only using t-posts at the corners and seeing if we can cut down enough straight cedar trees for the rest. We have lots of cedar, but not too many straight ones.

Thanks for the help! I hope it works - it'll save us money!

Rachel