Our first calf (Dairy)

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by MikeJoel, Apr 16, 2006.

1. MikeJoel

MikeJoel Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

There she is nursing.

Didn't get to weigh it till the next day then found her to be about 50-55Lb.
    She was sired by a milking shorthorn. The dam (which has finally got it's name "Miss Maple"... I dont care as long as if a stranger hears me using the name I dont have to blush ;-)). Anyway the dam as most know is a Jersey-mix (I believe of shorthorn, though by the coloring I guess there must be other breeds (so I guess she is a mutt ;-)). Just going by how most breeding seems to be to shorthorn up here).

She seems to be healthy and was bouncing around the stall while I cleaned this morning.

Whoooooh. What an experience.
    Learned a lot that I hope will make next time better.

Here is just a little (Seems so simple now that I have experienced it and can examine it):

1) Saw dust is not the ideal bedding for birthing (not really dust but small enough to make it a problem) - straw or hay next time (I also have free access to wood shavings)

2) I now know this cow lets you know when it is time (she told me ;-) I was walking by the barn and she was laying in her stall and started lowing at me. That morning she also was coming up to me every time I was down at the barn.

3) The timing I have read so much about isn't absolute. Let them alone unless you are SURE there is a problem. A calf may not be up and walking within 10-15 minutes. And nursing may not take place within 30 minutes.

4) The cow knows more than I credited it.

That is just the tip of it.

Mike

2. JanO

JanO Well-Known Member Supporter

She's a beautiful heifer Mike. Congrats :goodjob:

3. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

What a beauty!!! So glad you have a lil' heifer! You're right, there usually is a whole lot more in practice that we find out as compared with theory. Congratulations.

4. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers