Our first baby goat died (maybe was miscarried?)... now what?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by kk304, Feb 24, 2005.

1. kk304

kk304 Member

We thought the mama was going to have her baby toward the end of March. We're not sure whether the baby (her first) was born alive or dead. What could have caused a miscarriage? Also, anything we should do for the mama now?

(Mama is a Nubian/Boer cross, about 1 year old. She gets dewormed monthly. Gets hay and goat feed daily.)

2. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

dewormed monthly? :rolleyes: what kind of dewormer did you use?
    abortion can have lots of reason. to find out you have to send the kid in for examination.
    susanne

3. elly_may

elly_may Well-Known Member

Was the doe with others prior to her kidding ? Head ramming from other goats will cause abortions, as will selenium deficiency, and many organisms can cause abortion, there are three that cause the majority of the problems: Campylobacter, Chlamydia and Toxoplasma. Vaccines are available for campylobacter and chlamydia. Toxoplasmosis is caused by a protozoan parasite. Members of the cat family are the only definitive host of the Toxoplasma organism and, therefore , serve as the main reservoir. Since cats are the primary reservoir of the Toxoplasma organism, prevention is directed at controlling the cats.

If you are not submitting the fetus to the laboratory bury or burn the fetus, membranes and any soiled bedding or feed. Make certain that other does do not have access to contaminated bedding, feed, or water.

Medicate the entire herd with LA200 or Tylan 200.

4. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

So was the doe only 7 mths old when you got her in kid.....being too young could explain a few things.

5. elly_may

Shazza, my brain didn't do the math on that one. Yes, 7 months is quite young. I don't breed my does until 12 - 15 months or they reach at least 90 pounds.

6. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I agree, she was to young to be bred. I like my does at 100pounds, so they are about a year and one half. I don't like early babys, or sick does. when you breed at 7 months[, and lost of books say you can], you are letting your self in for a heart break. I always wiat, until the doe is bigger, and more ready to be bred.

7. kk304

kk304 Member

I think the age is the right answer, as Elly May and others said. We read several books that indicated she was okay for this, but she's definitely small.

Lesson learned.

8. elly_may

At least you didn't lose the dam which can happen in younger kiddings. I would wait at least 6 months to rebreed her and that should go more smoothly for ya.

It is so exciting to expect kiddings and I know how disappointing it is to lose some. We have all been there at one point. Some lessons are learned the hard way, but they are lessons that will be remembered.

I am sorry you lost the little ones, give the momma some extra TLC and an extra helping of hay.

9. kk304

kk304 Member

How long will it be before she goes back into heat? Right now she's not separated from the male, so I'll need to do that. Thanks!

10. elly_may

This will be my first kidding season, so I am not sure how long after kidding they come back into heat. My guess is once they are dried off, they should begin cycling again regularly. I am sure others will jump in with their experience and help answer that more definite for you.