Our contested adoption...

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by MomOf4, Nov 16, 2006.

1. MomOf4

MomOf4 Well-Known Member

For those of you who don't know, the mother and 7 year old half-sister of my two step-daughters were murdered on June 1, 2005 by the girls' step-father. Their remaining 5 year old half-sister, daugther of the perpitrator, was orphaned when her father was sent to prison.

We made the decision to try to adopt her last September, and finally went to court October 30th this year. Because a member of the extended family was trying to adopt her, we had contested hearings. The hearings took 6 days over 2 weeks, and the judge took it under advisement last Friday, so we have been waiting for his decision since last week.

We just got the phone call about an hour ago, and I just have one question...how do I change my ID to momof5????

Our petition was granted just this morning!!!! We still have transition to go through, and the adoption won't be final for 6 months, but we prevailed.

I cannot wait until the girls find out that they will finally have their sister living with them!!! My brother in law is picking the kids up after school, and taking them to the movies so they can't be told by someone else, and they will get home when my husband gets home so he can be the one to tell them.

This has been a very long road trying to keep these girls together, and unfortunately, they just now have closure, so we will be dealing with the grieving process, again, over the next several months. My husband is already re-living all the emotions of the day of the homicides.

We still have a long road, but at least they will now have closure from the death of their mother and sister, and they will have their other sister with them for the rest of their lives!

2. cindyc

cindyc Well-Known Member

I am going to cry. That is WONDERFUL news!

Cindyc.

3. hisenthlay

hisenthlay a.k.a. hyzenthlay

Congratulations!! You must be so excited!! And it's a wonderful thing to be able to keep the girls together, especially after such a tragedy. I think the mods can change your name for you. :D

4. Pigeon Lady

Pigeon Lady Well-Known Member Supporter

Congratulations!!

You've all endured so much. I do hope most of the trials are behind you and you can be one big happy family now!

Hugs to your girls,

Pauline

5. Ninn

Ninn Custom Crochet Queen

Congratulations! God is so good. See all the wonder that came from that terror? God bless you and your wonderful family.

6. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

I'm with you Cindy...but no going to about it...THAT is the BEST news I have heard in a long time and it absolutely makes my day to hear something positive and wonderful! Thanks for sharing that Mom of FIVE!!!! Hug each and every one of those precious children for me! God Bless you all!!!!

7. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

Well done :) What a relief this must be for your family.

Hugs
    marlene

8. MomOf4

MomOf4 Well-Known Member

I didn't think I would be as emotional as I was - I was literally sobbing on the phone with my attorney though. The first happy tears in a long time for me! I cannot wait to see the reactions of the kids tonight. We are going to video tape it so the rest of the family can see their reactions.

Back to business - have to go get tires put on DH's truck, and go meet with the court appointed guardian to discuss transition.

Thank you everyone!

9. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

Congratulations, Happy Thanksgiving and a very MERRY Happy Christmas to the whole family.

Angie

10. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

<sniff sniff> Someone pass the tissues please, I've just literally burst into tears. I remember the murder. I'm so happy this has turned out well for you.

11. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

Wonderful! I remember it looking so bleak and scary to you back then.... The girls are fortunate to have had a court system that really thought about the girls welfare and the importance of family, arent they?

12. clovis

clovis Well-Known Member

Congratulations!!!!
    I know we spoke briefly about the adoption at the summer HT gathering...I am so happy for you!!!!
    My dear wife and I are adopting a 5 year old; can't remember if I told you that. Waiting on the state of Indiana...
    clove

13. sweetcountrygrl

sweetcountrygrl Well-Known Member

Wonderful news! Congratulations! :)

14. Melissa

Melissa member

That is really great news. As to the name change, just send Chuck a pm and he will change it for you. You don't have to register a new account or anything.

15. bubbba

bubbba Well-Known Member

I am so happy for you , I have an adopted brother and he is a real blessing to my family. Cogratulations.
    :)

Peace

16. heather

heather Well-Known Member

Congratulations!!
    Enjoy every day!

17. ericjeeper

ericjeeper Well-Known Member

I am happy for you.. Now you will have to bring all 5 kids to the Indiana Spring get together.
    Your families presence was missed here this fall.

18. wendys_goats

wendys_goats wendys_goats

That is wonderful news could someone pass me the kleenex next.
    God Bless and thank you for sharing your wonderful news with us.

19. tamatik

tamatik Well-Known Member

sometimes good news takes awhile to mozy around but you know it when it arrives,Congrats..There really is a santa claus.

20. jen74145

jen74145 Well-Known Member Supporter

How great is that... give those babies each a hug for me. Poor little girl, glad she's alright and going to have a safe, loving place to call home.