Our baby rabbits

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by turtlehead, Oct 20, 2006.

1. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

About ten days ago I saw our kits for the first time, and I was super excited!

Two were stillborn or died soon after birth, and were at the entrance to the burrow. I threw them away. Then a few days later one of the babies got out either in pouring rain or the freezing night and died. Then a couple of days ago another kit was at the burrow entrance. I was really sad about that, but our does are young and have never had kits before. I knew there were two, maybe three kits still in the burrow.

Well they came OUT yesterday and I videotaped them for about half an hour. There were SEVEN out at one point! :dance: I couldn't believe we have that many babies. The burrow is a lot deeper than I thought it was. They are fat and busy and inquisitive, and they know to run for the burrow if they get startled.

It poured rain last night and I saw a couple this morning, all wet and dirt covered. The big rabbits were out in the rain like nothing was happening. I'm hoping these babies are big enough to avoid getting too chilled from their explorations. I put some pellets and rolled oats in a bowl near the entrance to their burrow. They were nibbling on fallen leaves yesterday. I think they're about 4 weeks old now.

Oh, and two does are definitely sharing that burrow. I saw a kit try to nurse from one doe and then the other. Neither doe was very interested in nursing at the time and they just hopped away.

Our third doe is digging like a maniac so maybe she's preggers too. I hope so!

2. Hilda

Hilda Well-Known Member

Congratulations, Turtlehead! Can I borrow your buck, LOL!

I hope one day to have a colony setting too, once I know more. It's nice to read about how well they can turn out

3. turtlehead

Thanks, Hilda. We've only had rabbits a few months now and only in a colony setting so I simply don't know any better ;) This is a great place to get info on colony setups. I'm a newbie at it, KSALguy has some good info, Thatch is an old hand with brilliant ideas, and there are others too that don't come to mind right now (sorry!).

I'm not sure if 11 kits from two does (first litters) is good or not. I know the four deaths are not good, but also not as bad as losing an entire litter, which sometimes happens. I'm glad we didn't lose a litter, the does are nursing, the buck doesn't mind the kits. All in all, we're quite happy.

4. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Nice to hear that it's working so well! First time mommas often have problems raising their kits, so if eleven are surviving from two litters, I would say you are well on your way. Likely they will lose fewer in the future, all things being equal.

5. turtlehead

MaggieJ, there were eleven total in the two litters, 7 of which are surviving. I was disappointed to lose the four, of course, but the seven seem to be getting fat and sassy. I figure for brand new moms that's still pretty good.

The babies are real skittish so I don't get very close to them yet. They are getting more brave with each day. There is one with its left eye sealed shut. I need to figure out how to catch that one so I can take a look at it and maybe wash its eye with a warm cloth. It gets around great and doesn't act like the eye is sore or itchy, but I'd still like to get a good look at it.