Ouch, Whimper, Yelp, Whine

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Hip_Shot_Hanna, Nov 18, 2006.

1. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

Was just sitting out on our front porch with DH, discussing plans to put a screened in porch on the back of our house.

I had a cup of warm (not hot) tea with lemon and sugar sitting on the table, and reached down and took a swig - but felt something solid and immediately spat it out on the porch floor, at which point I recognized a honeybee.

AND realized that the stinger was lodged in the roof of my mouth on the hard palate just behind my front teeth. Not wanting to push my tongue against the stinger again in case it caused more venom to squeeze out, I'm talking to DH - who obviously noticed I spat the tea out on the floor and is looking at me quizzically.

"Oooh - uh, I have a hinger in my mow!" (Pointing frantically at my open mouth and drooling)

DH says "What??"

I say "My ea - haa a bee in it. It ung me in the oof of my mow!"
    (Pointing at expiring bee on floor)

DH squints at me and I say "Bee inger in my mow!!!"

Suddenly he gets it - and takes off his glasses so he can see the roof of my mouth and sees the stinger.

I tell him to scrape it out not pull it, and he looks at his freshly trimmed fingernails, then as if a light bulb goes on, jumps up and unsheaths his six inch bladed hunting knife and approaches my mouth.

My eyes open wide in terror and I say "At scaow me awmo aa muh!"

But I close my eyes, and with a painless and gentle flick he removes the stinger. Whew - now I can talk normally again.

And I want to cry... but it isn't really swelling much and doesn't hurt as bad as I would have expected, but my front teeth and nose feel a little bit weird. I went and got ice chips to hold against it and reckon I'll be fine in a couple of hours.

I'm just glad it wasn't DH - when fireants and mosquitoes bite him he tends to have more swelling than most folks.

2. omnicat

omnicat Well-Known Member

HOLY HONEYBEES!!!

Glad it wasn't worse. Egad!!

3. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

You still have honeybees flying around? :eek: :p

Thank goodness you're not allergic to beestings.

4. omnicat

omnicat Well-Known Member

You still have honeybees flying around?

lol. She must be in a warmer climate. Honeybees around here this time of year are about as common as Unicorns.

Any lasting affects, Hanna? Has it gone down?

5. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

Can you take a benedril to keep the swelling down?

And that is scarey... glad he was there and understood giberish.

Angie

6. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

Wow, bet that hurts. So sorry, but your story had me laughing till the tears ran down my cheeks, and all the time you are in discomfort ! Watch that next cup, might be a hornet !

7. Windy_jem

Windy_jem Well-Known Member Supporter

YIKES!! I'm glad you're not allergic!!

8. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member Supporter

When we were in Organ we were told to keep an eye on our soft drinks because the bees would go into the opening. You could buy little plastic things that fit in the hole and bees couldn't get in but you could still drink from them.

9. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

Glad you're okay, but sorry, I laughed too. If it makes you feel any better, yesterday I picked up a bicycle to carry to the garage (flat tires) and the handle bars spun around and one hit me smack on the nose! Even?

10. clamjane

clamjane Well-Known Member

I'm with GrannyG, I am sorry for your pain and I am glad that you are alright, but I am just about on the floor laughing at your description of events. I really lost it at the part where your dh pulled the knife out.

11. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Oh my gosh, I'd have to head to the hospital!!!

12. Hip_Shot_Hanna

LOL.. yes, I'm fine. In fact, there don't seem to be any lingering effects from the sting at all, other than a slight rough spot where the stinger was injected.

I wrote it from a perspective having a rather warped sense of humor sometimes. I could SEE it would look funny!

13. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes bees are still flying, And anytime the Temps. Are above freezeing they take cleansing flights to clean the hive.

14. Spotted Crow

Spotted Crow Well-Known Member

Definitely not funny at the time, but now...
    I've had the wasps in the soda...make sure I check before I take a drink...I've even had one with nerve eating the chicken bone before I was done with it...I held it and watched it cut a small round piece out of the skin around the bone...weird.

15. fransean

fransean Well-Known Member

I called my DH in to read this and his comment was "I would have used an 8" blade or bayonet on you"! Always a comedian :)
    Good to know you are okay and I will be checking my drinks from now on - Yuck.

Bev

16. Janis Sauncy

Janis Sauncy Well-Known Member

I keep Benadryl on hand just for this kind of event. We have more problems with yellow jackets around here than honeybees, though. And the yellow jackets can sting more than once. I also think the venom is worse with the yellow jackets, plus they're aggressive and will attack.

17. Beaners

Beaners Incubator Addict

So the screened in porch sounds even better than it did before right?? ;)

Kayleigh

18. DixyDoodle

DixyDoodle stranger than fiction

Eye'ng oh ad ooo are eeling etter ow. ;) :angel:

19. ann

ann Well-Known Member

I drank a yellow jacket once on a camping trip. Always go for bottled drinks now. I think the worse that happened to me was in forth grade. I went in the kitchen, was late and I didn't turn on a light. Got a glass, poured a drink and when I took a sip one of those big furry spiders ran across my tongue. I like to have died. Ever since, my glasses are stored upside down. And I always turn on the light and look first. I guess he was in the glass when I got it down. I still get the shivers when I think about it and I just turned 38. Mom still tells everyone about it and they all get a good laugh. I still don't think its funny.

20. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Arghhh! Ann, that story gives me the heebie jeebies NOW! {{{shudder}}}
    gack!