Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I was working on getting more pasture fenced in and I was haning a gate. I drilled a hole for the hinge and used a cresent wrench to screw it in the hole. I had two more turns to go and the wrench came off the hinge and smacked me in the face. Three stitches later...

Other than a cresent wrench, how do you install gate hinges? Is there a better way? My face won't take much more abuse...

·
Premium Member
8,859 Posts
Vice Grip is marginally better, but mostly gotta keep the face out of the line of flight. Nature of the beast.

--->Paul

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Always try your best to put yourself in a position where you are pushing down on the wrench and away from your face. Don't ever pull it toward your face if you can avoid it, or you will feel as stupid as you do and I have felt also.
The reason I felt stupid, was simple. I was doing something stupid. I am pretty good with my hands, but I have sure walked off a many a time because I busted myself in the face with something.
One time I was framing a closet with a long handled 24 oz. framing hammer and the butt hit a 2x4 and the head came back and hit me upside my head. I grabbed the hammer back up, Mad as you know what, went to the skill saw, zapped it off real quick at darn it the end didn't bust me in the mouth. 7 stiches across my upper lip. Had a mustache ever since, LOL.
:shrug: :shrug:

·
construction and Garden b
7,378 Posts
Ole Man Legrand said:
I use a box end wrench 3/4 size Put the hole over the pin aand screw it end . I have 20 gates.
one we use too! we hinge most gates on wire though, hard too get them low enough for the sheep not to go under and still swing :flame:

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
For starters I'm a little picky--it is an adjustable end wrench, apparently of Crescent brand.

Having to exert that much force that it would smack you when it slipped off tells me that you needed a larger wrench, perhaps a 15 inch or 18 inch model instead of a shorter one.

Using a boxed end wrench over the peg of a hinge is a good way to have a broken wrench in my opinion as the stress to the wrench wasn't designed for that.

How about getting a two foot length of pipe that fits the peg snuggly and using it to turn the hinge?

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
I always throw away the screw-in hinges and buy ones that will go all the way through the post. Have much better luck with them staying in the post.

·
Waste of bandwidth
10,618 Posts
How do I hang a gate hinge?

If it causes me to get stitches, I hang it from the highest tree.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oggie said:
How do I hang a gate hinge?

If it causes me to get stitches, I hang it from the highest tree.
I tried that but it was already screwed most of the way in the fence post...

I used a larger wrench for all the other gates and didn't have a problem. I couldn't find it this time and used the next smallest. Guess I need to find the big wrench before I go finish!

Thanks for the advice, seems as though everyone still has to use some sort of wrench.

·
construction and Garden b
7,378 Posts
we also use a long gate hinge to screw the hinge through even the bolt type we put on through a tight hole.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Ole Man Legrand said:
I use a box end wrench 3/4 size Put the hole over the pin aand screw it end . I have 20 gates.
This is the ticket! The longer the wrench is, the more leverage you will get. So if you have a 1" box wrench, that give some more leverage cuz it is generally longer. On the bottom pin, you may want to use a Vice Grip-type locking plier if space is limited due to being so close to the ground, but generally the box-end wrench will work if you flip it back after each 3/4 turn, when it nears the ground again.

You can make them go in a lot easier if you bring a bar of soap with you and coat the threads with it before you start.

I have never had any trouble with pin hinges, and I only use the go-through kind if the post has rotted but is still serviceable. So DaleK, don't throw them away! Send them to ME! :p

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
a breaker bar and impact sockets might work well.

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
ahhh...the pin, i see. try a section of pipe.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I agree with MELOC. I use a short piece of pipe on hinges that screw in. On homemade gates, I weld my own hinges. I drill a hole in post, that is just a little smaller than hinge. Then I hammer the hinge in tight.

·
In Remembrance
1,625 Posts
Pre-drill the hole, then use a short (2' or so) piece of pipe. Here I'll show you....well it was here just a minute ago.

·
Premium Member
3,037 Posts
Box end wrench here also with the addition of a two foot "cheater pipe" when needed. For what it's worth, if you were having to apply that much force to it, perhaps pre-drilling the hole was in order. If you DID pre-drill, perhaps a size or three larger drill bit is in order next time.

P.S. I LOVED the post about hanging it from the highest tree....I've lost more perfectly good tools/parts that way.....I can never seem to find where I threw them after I clear the tears/blood/sweat from my eyes.......

David

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
Always push down instead of pulling up towards face. This applies to all tools not just tightening gate hinge pins. I have a chipped tooth from a practical lesson of this almost 40 years ago. As they say experience is the best teacher but the tuition is expensive.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts