otters&crawfish traps

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Unregistered-1427815803, May 4, 2004.

1. well, All I accomplished was to set a buffet table for the otters- they ripped apart my crayfish traps and that was that.Notsure how I could deal with thatone-guess I ''otter'' make them stronger- maybe welded 3/8 rebar frame and cover thatwith heavy mesh might deter them- or at least make them work a little harder.

2. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear of your troubles!
    My traps are welded re-bar with hardware cloth or screen. I've never had anything get them apart, but then again I don't have many otter around here.
    Hope you find something that works for you. :)

3. otters are big powerful animals and if they decide to get a quick meal, a crayfish trap probably doesn't present much of a challenge- they just rip it apart

4. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I would love to raise a baby otter! I remember watching Ring of Bright Water as a kid. I cried like the baby I was. I know this is not about raising otters but just bought that childhood delight to the surface. Best of wishes with your trouble. (I'll send you a couple of skunks in trade for some otters :)