OT - worried about my animals and property

Discussion in 'Goats' started by dbarjacres, Dec 6, 2005.

1. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm really worried at the moment. My husband and I were outside Friday morning to see a truck fly by our house, slam on the brakes, fly backwards down the road 200 feet to the neighbor's drive, turn around, back past our house, and 50 feet off our property line, proceed to slam on the brakes and SHOOT out the window 3 times at a coyote pup 300 yards back in the field! The coyote ran the opposite way, so they took off again to chase it. That made both of us really mad, so I got into my Blazer and went after them (I knew where they would be going) and as I got up to them, they are flying backwards down the road again about 2 miles away (other side of the "country block"). If I didn't know to watch out for them, they would have run right into me! I had to pull on the other side of the road. They were shooting again at the coyote, which I couldn't even see it was so far away. I took their plate number and went home and called the cops. These guys (who do NOT live in our neighborhood, but hunt with the big "local" group of poachers and convicted felons) did this a week previous during deer gun season too. The cops came out shortly and a few got fines for open, loaded rifles, but they all have marine radios, so the "bad guys" got the he!! out of Dodge and the other guys don't claim to know them, so no major fines. The warden is going to be watching in an unmarked car now. WELL, here's where I'm worried. The darn person at the sherriff's office that called out the alert over the scanner, said our address just called in a 911 on illegal hunting. Well, I did NOT call 911, and they aren't supposed to say who did call! These guys are harrassing us now. My husband works 20 miles away and with a cousin of one of these guys and he's getting harrassed at work now too, that's how we found out about this! I'm so worried they will do something to the animals. Yeah, I'd be ----ed if they did something to our house/vehicles, etc, but that's just "stuff" and it's insured. But we have 3 dog children and 2 cat children that live in the house, 7 goats, 6 mini donkeys with 4 bred(over $10,000 worth of donkeys), and a big donkey and horse also. I can just see these jerks killing my animals. We have 2 german shepherds outside, but they are kenneled, but even if they weren't they'd be easily shot or poisened. Yes, we have a lot of money tied up in these guys, but they are special to us too. I'm so scared.

2. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

OH MY GOSH! Can you tell the police, maybe they could help? Personally those idiots should not be mad at you guys, it is their own faults for being morons! I will pray for the saftey of your animals, and for your piece of mind. By the way, do you think that it would help if you told the police in advance that you think that these people could hurt you or your animals, then if they did, which I hope and pray that they don't, then they could be brought to justice? Like I said, I will pray for you. Good Luck, bye.

3. dbarjacres

Thank you GoatFreak. I am waiting for a call back from the deputy that was out here Friday. I'm going to tell her my concern, so if something does happen (or I turn up missing!) they will have good lead to go off of. And yep, they should not be such illegal hunters and morons in general. :viking:

4. tltater

tltater Well-Known Member

We live in an area where you have to mind your "P's and Q's" as to who you turn into who as well. My sugestion is, if you are friendly with the majority of your neighbors(if you are like us there aren't many but enough) let them know what is going on. If you get enough people on your side, the heat will be put back on the bad guys and they will leave well enough alone. Everything is always safer in numbers. They get enough people watching for there poaching ways and they'll chill out. Hope all gets better for your husband at work. These guys usually have the school age childrens mentality and will eventually stop the harrasment at work but until then I know it's hard to keep your head about you.

I hope and pray all goes well with all of you!

Tracy,
    Southwestern, NY

5. idamtnmn

idamtnmn Member

I agree with Tracy. You stated that these people are not from your neighborhood, therefore chances are good that your neighbors rally to your defense. Obviously, it would be in their best interest also.

Harassment at your husbands workplace, should be dealt with immediately. Confront the offending party, stating such actions will not be tolerated and report incident to a supervisor and/or management. If harassment continues, then you file a lawsuit.

Chances are things will be ok and the problem makers will find greener pastures elsewhere.

You are not alone - good luck!

6. bretthunting

bretthunting Well-Known Member

start documenting (time,date,what is said to your dh etc.) and taking pics.get enough doc. and take it (a copy) to the police. you get enough documentation and the law has to do something. just be careful in taking pics,and do not put yourself in danger.

7. TamInAz

TamInAz Well-Known Member

Will be keeping you in prayer, praying for saftey for you, your family and your animals.

8. dbarjacres

Just the guys in the white truck that were shooting aren't our neighbors, the rest of the jerks all live w/in 1-4 miles of us. These guys all "run dogs" with their type of hunting, so they let the dogs out on say, one side of a square mile, then the follow them in their trucks on the road to shoot whatever they chase out. There is usually 5-8 trucks in the party. We hate our next door neighbor, he's a real jerk, preaches Jesus to everyone, but he's about as 2 faced and nasty a person as you can find and lies like crazy, even the amish dislike him cause of his lies. We don't have problems with any other neighbors, but half are amish, so they keep to themselves in stuff like this, and then there are the jerks mingled in there, so we don't have a lot of "backers" left! If I see any of the hunters, think I can follow the S.S.S. rule like for a nuisance dog? I'm still waiting for the officer to call me back, I tried her again, but found out the lady this morning neglected to tell me she was off today.

If I think about it, if those guys are any sort of smart at all, they'd be so dumb to do something visable to our property/animals. It's like, duh, who else would have done it. I'm hoping they are at least that smart, and if they think/know I called them in they just call me the dumb b#@*% on Rock Creek Rd. Hate me, that's just fine by me, cause my despise of them is a lot stronger, just leave me alone tho. They all got dogs too, one's a farmer, so they got lots of stuff we could mess with if we'd be as imbicile as them. It's just that last year we had two very strange instances with our goats w/in 2 days and unless they sprouted wings (both were VERY myotonic fainters) they couldn't have done that by themselves. And I came home last year one day to find the sherriff in my driveway. Came to check on my dogs as he got a complaint call that we were housing dozens of dogs in a big old barn and they were loud and sickly. WHAT!? We have FIVE dogs, 3 "house kids", 2 sheps. outside. and that's it. And we don't even own a barn! We just have 2 small sheds and a 15x50 3 sided pole building. I have no idea who would have done that, someone very mentally challenged, and it was against me, not Darrin (DH) so I think it was my step dad's deranged brother. The officer knew me, cause he's the canine cop and he teaches obedience, and my dogs have been to his classes. He found it amusing. Said someone turned in him 2 weeks prior! Yep, some people are sure idiots.

Sorry, I'll just shut up now, I'm layed off this week and kinda bored, no one to talk to!

9. Farmgirl2005

Farmgirl2005 Well-Known Member

WOW !! i have a question if you dont mind curiousty...what happen with your two fainters.. i have three.... but i was jsut curious

lyn
    p.s. if i was you and stuck at home all by myself.... i would have a shot gun at my side and a very heavy baseball bat nearby..
    I had a instance where three guys came knockin on my door and said that their car broke down and needed a phone.. well what they didnt konw is i was wtaching them... they were very serious lookin men....and saw that they were ready to push the door in is i were to answer it... this was all at 130 in the night.... and i was also olny 16 then,im 17 now so it qA Lat year... well i went into my parents rooms who were nt home yet grabed my dads 20 gauge and loaded and pumped so they could hear it... and sai very loudly please leave and my two puppies were right behinf me barkin mad... and said that if they didnt leave id call the cops they left and the next day their car was gone..

10. Ramblin Acres

Ramblin Acres Well-Known Member

Hey there,
    How about installing some camera's,that would give ya some piece of mind.I feel for ya.I would be really p***ed off at them too.You could also let the dnr know that they are hunting illegally.It may cause more problems,As for your husband he needs to document them harrassing him and report it to his employer,unless his boss is friends with them.

I guess for my peice of mind I would look at finding some video equipment and installing it so it looks at your driveway and the road and then you would have your proof if they did do something.Just an idea for ya,I will be keeping you and all of your critters in my thoughts.I am sure as time passes they will forget about,but what dumb *ss shhoting back toward livestock off of a road,I would be really hot headed too.

Ok I am rambling now got to go

11. dbarjacres

Well, my husband's coworker that was being a dink got a little phone call from me tonight. First thing I said to him was what the he!! is his problem!? He's a few years younger than us and he grew up on what's now a mennonite farm next to us, so they knew each other fairly well. Darrin won't yell at people, but I will! I wanted this to get back to the idiots "thru the grapevine" so to speak, so that's why I called him and chewed him out. I asked him how dumb he thinks I am that I'd call these guys, his so called friends and relatives, in to the cops when I know what kind of $*@)(#% people they are. I said I'm not that stupid, and second of all, told him I wouldn't call 911 for it! I said I was outside when they did it and I'd love to call them in, but again, I'm not that stupid. I stressed heavily I don't want my stuff messed with and Nick said they wouldn't want their $2000 coon and bear hounds messed with, so he doesn't think they'd actually do anything. He said he did stick up for us, but said the way it came over the scanner it makes us look real guilty. I told him that maybe Martins (the neighbor next door that we dislike) called them, as he'd know our address and it was right off our property. Hehe, blame it on him. I sounded really mad and did a good story telling job, actually, everything was the truth, except the part that I made the phone call! I was stupid to call, that's the truth, but the best reason to have done that is what Nick said to me - in these parts, you take this kind of hunting with a grain of salt, it's always been done and always will be, altho there's less people doing it now than 20 years ago. Exactly! That's why it should be done! I'm kinda layed off right now, due to cold and holidays, so I'll be home alot, and I went across the road to talk to our nice amish and they'll watch for strange vehicles and such for us too. I'm not worried they'd come and try to hurt me, they'd be the type to mess with our stuff if anything or find something to call us in on. If they did come to the door, I've got 2 dogs here that'd stop them real quick. Hopefully this will be cleared up.

Farmgirl- I had a very myotonic doe (she couldn't even run) wind up in the pen next to her and leaving her 1 day old kids in her pen alone (there is NO way she could have gone under, thru or around gate) and next day our VERY myotonic and small buck somehow got over a 48" cattle panel and in with our doelings. There is now way he could have done this either and he couldn't have gone under cause it was the middle of winter and the bottom was froze down. We don't know what happend.

Thank you everyone for your concern. I really appreciate it!

12. Ramblin Acres

Well I am glad everything will work out for you.I could not live where you are that is for sure.We have never had idiots down here doing that.But I do live on a pretty busy hwy,but a lot of my friends live on nice quite back roads and they never had anything like that happen.It must be an up north type of thing.We have a cabin and 40 acres up by boscobel and there are a lot of idiots up there too.We are always finding poached deer when we do go up there.I really don't like the area anymore,some people leave there horses chained out in the middle of the field and the ribs are showing,that is just not right.

I'm not saying that it is perfect down here either but it seems that it is not as common or maybe it is just not herd of.

Hey by the way do you still breed and raise shepherds?I just notice that at the bottom of your postings.
    Later

13. dbarjacres

Well, the officer called me this morning, and she's being really nice. She's putting a big sticky on the file that says to NOT give out our info under any circumstances. Plus she said they will be making more drives thru my area and if I see anything odd at all to call and they'll make it a regular patrol. She said she is pretty sure the 4 guys she talked to this weekend are okay and wouldn't do anything. But they did get a complaint on the two "really bad" poachers/felons south of town on Sunday, but they couldn't find them once they got out there. She told me if they were involved in my case, she'd definately patrol my area more (some real creeps, huh?).

Ramblin, where are you located? My parents are over by Stratford and that's a really nice "clean and normal" area, but even there my stepdad has had problems with fox and coyote hunters, believe they were from over this area. His land is all posted, but they still ran dogs there numerous times years ago, until he caught their dogs and told them next time it'd be dead (illegal to shoot a hunting dog in WI, but there is the SSS law!) and he had problems last year again, they thought he was gonna pull a gun on them, but he was getting his binoculars! it was really funny. YES, we still do the shepherds, our female just got bred and is due Jan. 24, will be an all white litter. Last litter was really nice!

14. Ramblin Acres

We are located south of orfordville.Were like 20 min to Beloit 25 min to Janesville and Monroe.We used to live in Beloit and just had to get out of there,I couldn't take the school,the people and the gangs.But since we have moved to the country it has been just great.We have never had any problems with hunters on our land but my b/f hunts on some other people private land and the worst that he says that he ever incounter was some trespasser that got "lost" and a couple stolen deer stands.But this was on someone else's land.The worst that we had at our farm was some idiot coming up on my tail as I was turning into our driveway pulling our horse trailer and he flipped me off.Needless to say I exchanged some not very lady like words with him,lol.

I am sure there is poaching but I guess they are not that obvious and they probably don't want to get caught,so they stay pretty sneaky.We have never herd gunshots as someone is driving down the road,that would be very scary.Well I am glad things are going to be all right for you.

As far as your shepherds,Now I have 3 of them(one is a husky/shep cross),I was wondering with the white ones are you able to register them or not?Or is it that you just can't show the white ones?I know the akc doesn't recognize something about white shepherds.Do you ever have any problems keeping weight on them?

Thanks

15. dbarjacres

R.A., White shepherds are registerable by AKC. My male is AKC and CKC, my female is CKC only, so that's what our pups are. Whites can not be shown in conformation in AKC, but can in obedience and the other stuff. I actually prefer the CKC, it's a lot more breeder friendly and heck of a lot better service.

We've never had problems keeping weight on any shepherd we've had. We've never had a fat one, that's for sure, but they stay a healthy weight. Our female doesn't like to eat, only does if she has to, so she stays thin, especially in summer, and this is with ultra premium foods like Natural Balance or Canidae. In winter she gains weight cause we feed kibble mixed with hot venison for a "stew".

16. Ramblin Acres

We have one skinny male and I have had this dog on the best of the best dog food and still he looks pathetic.He is neutered but he is a resue from 2 yrs ago.He just loves to herd the goats and has tons of energy.I have been adding tablescapes to his diet to hopefully fatten him up a bit.

I have always loved white shepherds.We have a mostly black female that is going on 13 yrs old and then our skinny male is 3 yrs old and he is a traditonal black and tan,the husky/shep cross is mostly tan with black points and he is just a 2 yr old but weighsclose to 100 pounds(the fatso,and he is locked in the kennel until feeding is done)

I have never heard of the ckc,I will have to check them out.My 2 shepherds are registered but I don't have there papers,both have slight hip dyspalsia and we don't want to breed that.So papers were not that important to us anymore.

17. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

Ah, helpfull cops.

Now you've got to be strong, as that's all these good-ole-boys are going to respect. Yes, they probably are going to shoot your dogs and a few other charming things. If you're home, shoot back. Shoot to kill. They aren't going to come up knocking on your door asking permission to shoot your dogs and livestock, they're going to sneak with "yee-haw" cowardice in their hearts.

When you see them on the street, make sure you glare as hard as they do. Don't flinch, don't cower. Otherwise, they are going to run right over you.

18. dbarjacres

Foxtrapper, If you're gonna respond like don't even do it. You sound like you are one of them, sure hope to he!! you aren't in Wisconsin. If you aren't one of them, sure sounds like you also hunt illegally and have a small mentality with things like this.

Thank you to every one else who responded politely or kindly!