OT - I was right!! (re: stolen truck)

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by barbarake, May 29, 2004.

1. barbarake

barbarake Well-Known Member

This made my whole week!!

My ex-husband (we're good friends) had a truck stolen sometime tuesday night. A smaller older closed-container truck. He lives in a semi-rural location and evidently someone came in the back of the property, along the railroad tracks, through the brambles and stole it. Needless to say, he was upset about it.

I told him not to worry too much yet because he would probably get it back. I told him that cars are generally stolen for three reasons. 1) Kids joyriding (not the case here). 2) Professionals looking for cars to chop up or send overseas (again, not the case here) or 3) someone just needed transportation and it would get dumped. I told him it was probably dumped somewhere that same night and after 2 or 3 days, it would get reported and they'd trace it back to him.

Well, last night our son had his last baseball game of the season. When my ex-husband arrived, I asked if he had heard anything about the truck. He said 'Not yet' and then made a point of reminding me that I said 'three days'. (Of course, at that point I started trying to backpedal a bit, said 'the holiday weekend might make a difference', etc. :) and of course his response was 'Nah, nah - you said three days').

Thirty minutes later the police called. Truck had been found!! Hahaha - it was within the three days!! Needless to say, he was happy - but he knows that he's going to be in for some ribbing for the next few days!! :D :D :D

(By the way, truck is just fine. CB radio stolen but that's it.)

2. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

Were you scared when that serial killer Hobo was on the lose? a year or two ago?

Where I live people just Steal Radios, Radios Faceplates, CD's or Takes the car for a "joyride" to the next town.

3. danielbrown

danielbrown Active Member

when my truck got stolen.
    it was stolen a a wednesday and the next sunday my buddy saw somebody driving it in the rough part of town. he came and got me and we rode around looking for it. Monday me and two buddys of mine rode around and we found it when the ****** ***** that stole run out of gas. they was still there when we found it but they got away while waiting for the cops to show (two rode right by and didn't stop) we flaged the next one down and got the truck back.

4. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

The company truck at my wifes work was stolen a while back-old beat up F-150-I am pretty sure I saw it two days ago driving around in our area but was unable to follow it.

It has been seen by quite a few people in the area(Mrs oz works in the construction business so LOTS of people out there know about the truck being stolen).

What amazes me is the attitude of those that stole itjust driving around in a stolen truck in the SAME AREA it was stolen!!!

No-one ever said criminals were smart.

5. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

A few years back, my neighbor Father Roy, the parish priest had his little beater pickup stolen from his driveway while he was out on church business. He reported it as soon as he got home. It took 10 days for it to be found. A member of his parish found it parked in front of the cop shop in the next town over (pop. 300). It had been parked there the entire 10 days and the cops couldn't find it!

The pickup had been "borrowed" by a couple of boys from the youth group and were not nearly in as much trouble as the cops.

6. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

You left out a reason for stealing a vehicle... to committ a crime. I hope the reason was just to steal the CB radio.

7. barbarake

barbarake Well-Known Member

Well, I sort of included that in reason three (simply needed transportation). I didn't specify what they needed the transportation *for* :D

Actually, I'd bet stealing the radio was an after-thought. I'm sure they just needed to get somewhere and decided to steal the nearest vehicle. At least they stole the smallest, cheapest one he has. He's just happy they didn't take his big new ford duellie (sp??) - he loves that truck. :p

8. danielbrown

danielbrown Active Member

A buddy of mine had a 4 wheeler stolen so is G/F (works at post office) told all of the mail carriers what to look for and they found it by 2 O'clock the next day.

tip: make friends with the postal workers.

9. TXlightningbug

TXlightningbug Well-Known Member

Good tip, but it wouldn't have helped my sister's F-I-L. His van was stolen from his driveway in the dead of night. It was stripped of everything inside except the driver's seat (He had it fixed as camper with his tools in it) and that was sold off then the van was driven across the border into Mexico. Apparently, a load of illegal immigrants piled in and they were driven to a big city up the coast then dumped. Then the van was completely stripped, left on blocks - a shell of its former self. :eek:

The replacement has an anti-theft gizmo in it now that cuts off the gas to the motor unless it's deactivated. Might want to get one for the "duellie, love of his life" if he's wanting to keep it from being taken too.

TXlightningbug :yeeha: