Osage Orange

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Darren, Dec 31, 2003.

1. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

I've wanted to start some Osage Orange for some time for future fence posts. I noticed a tree years ago, and finally this last fall collected some fruits. Anyone have any idea on starting seedlings?

2. Swampdweller

Swampdweller Well-Known Member

Black locust does have a thorn, just about the same size as a hedge thorn.
    Hedge (osage orange) is THE durable post. They DO grow strait. Just cut the wiry ones up for firewood. That said, I do use locust posts. I just don't put them where I want absolute permanence. Both species make excellent firewood. Hedge is better for a closed woodstove, however, as it pops and sparks somthin' fierce.

Swampdweller

3. george darby

george darby Well-Known Member

rock pile where they grow thick enough they are strait and i dont mind on a little crooked is i can sett them strait to the fence line and they do get big... very big when they grow in the good soils ive sawn the crookerdness out of some of the larger ones... ive sett a lot 8'' and dont think i will ever have to repace them my kids might not have too either..... make great fire wood... im working on construction sites so i can pick what i saw and dont have to worry about cleaning up the brush it gets piled and burned any wayi will admit at home hedge brush is a pain .....

4. It's been my experience that the second growth of Bodock is extremely straight. The original tree is crooked but the (many) sprouts off of the stump will be straight. It takes 5 to 10 years before they are big enough to use. If you burn only osage orange, it's very hot and can warp your stove. We have both Black locust and bodock and the bodock is alot denser and lasts better as a fence post. The bigger trees are bad to split as they dry, however.