Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31,294 Posts
I picked my favorite...

4) “The very concept of objective truth is fading out of the world. Lies will pass into history.”

My most prized books are a collection of history books from around the world. I have an Iraqi book that recounts the glory of Saddam Hussein’s victory over the United States in 1991. I have books from three different nations claiming that one of their citizens was the first to fly. As some of the most powerful nations in the world agree to let certain facts be “forgotten,” the trend will only get worse. History is written by the victor, and the victor will never be asked if he told the truth.

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,914 Posts
That is so true, HD. I had a pen pal from the UK, I took a leap of faith and invited her over for a visit. We had a whole lot in common, we even used the same brand of lotion! We were talking about the similarities in our cultures, and she was very foggy about the Revolutionary War. She had been taught the lines of the monarchy for a few hundred years, and she knew a lot of European history that I didn't, but her English education apparently just glossed over how the American colonies became a nation! So it isn't just the winners who re-write history, everyone is putting their own spin on it.

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
I picked my favorite...

4) “The very concept of objective truth is fading out of the world. Lies will pass into history.”

My most prized books are a collection of history books from around the world. I have an Iraqi book that recounts the glory of Saddam Hussein’s victory over the United States in 1991. I have books from three different nations claiming that one of their citizens was the first to fly. As some of the most powerful nations in the world agree to let certain facts be “forgotten,” the trend will only get worse. History is written by the victor, and the victor will never be asked if he told the truth.
Everyone re-tells a tale, exactly the way they want it re-told.

·
Premium Member
11,250 Posts
"Everyone re-tells a tale, exactly the way they want it re-told."

More or less true, but there are other factors involved. Myth making occurs when the tale is more memorable than the event and people prefer the myth. The person relating the story is merely on-target in relating what the listeners desire. The alternate stories just fall by the wayside and become the stomping grounds of those of us interested in ferreting out real history.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts