Orthodontics

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Jenn, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

If this is so necessary why won't my dental insurance pay for more than about 1/3 of it? They have me convinced though because I see where my daughters gums are receding from where her upper teeth are pushing on her lower in front. I apologised for marrying her father- he had braces, I never did- but heck maybe if my parents had ever taken me to an orthodontist they'd've been told even I needed braces. It was only for rich kds in our neighborhood- guess my DH wasa rich growing up <g- they're enlisted but FIL DID finish as SGM>

2. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Yea, when we were kids, orthodontics wasn't even something we could consider. I remember how impressed I used to be when I saw someone with perfect teeth. Now nearly everyone has perfect teeth, and people notice teeth that aren't perfect.
    I have been grateful, actually, that my boys have been able to have braces, because they really did need them. It made a really big difference in their appearances. We've paid most of it out of pocket, all on the third son's. But I consider it worth the money.
    Most orthodontists will let you pay it out monthly.
    I wouldn't be apologizing to the daughter for what she inherited, as her children might be inheriting the same thing from her. It certainly does not discount a person's worth.
    mary

3. Selena

Selena proud to be pro-choice

Both my daughters had braces, older one wasn't bad cost wise but younger daughter is another story. She is genetically missing a tooth so we'll need to add that on top of the braces. All I can say is take the $1000 - $1500 your insurance will pay and run the rest through your flexible spending plan if you have one. Most orthodontists take monthly payments.

4. Lizza

Lizza Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, my mom did take both my sister and I in for all our dentist appointments and ortho appointments. My sister, just naturally, needed not one piece of orthodontic work. I on the other hand had years and years of ortho treatments (yuck! but now I have very beautiful teeth). My husband also had braces, he drooled before he started ortho work because of his badly placed teeth.

Our older daughter has teeth like my sister. We went ahead and fixed a minor cross/over bite and luckily it was cheap.

Our middle daughter has years and years and years of Ortho work ahead of her. She is already on ortho piece #2 and is 10 (expander bar and now has partial front braces). She is also genetically missing two teeth but the orthodontist is thinking we can just move her other teeth together once she has full braces. She will also need head gear. Our insurance pays 50% and I give thanks every time I get a quote for the next treatment cost estimate.

My advice? Just suck it up and get their monthly payments. Your children will thank you for the rest of their lives. My BIL did not get ortho treatments and now he has constant dental problems because they are so closely spaced. It is much cheaper and faster to have it all done as a child.

Good luck!

5. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

Our insurance paid for half of our daughter's $4,000 bionic mouth. We made $125 a month payments for 16 months. That price was 4 1/2 years ago. I don't know what it would be today. She's had a huge amount of work done to properly shape her mouth and extend her jaw. She's almost done! Her braces were put on in April and will come off next spring.

Taylor had expanders on top and bottom. I didn't want to be the one to turn the key once or twice a day and make her uncomfortable. I was relieved when he showed us the spring-loaded expanders. We didn't have to do anything. It made a huge difference in her health. As her mouth widened and started to line up better her migraines diminished. The tooth she had under her tongue moved out to where it belongs with just the pressure of her tongue pushing it once it had some where to go. It's been a very interesting process.

6. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

*sigh* I'm 47 years old and going through my second round of ortho... top and bottom braces. What we didn't know, Way Back When, was that retainers are forever. If you stop wearing them (in college) the teeth start floating again, and by age 40 you're going to be facing a lot of the issues that put you in braces in your teens.

In my case, the teeth rotate and sort of "cave in" causing the nerves to come up nearer the surface and become Very temperature sensative. Like inhaling on a cold day is very painful.

I've been in these things for almost a year and the temperature sensitivity is gone... and they're almost straight again, which is nice, but I did this to make the pain go away.

Ortho sounds "cosmetic" and for many people it may be, but my father had a bad bite his whole life and he lost one tooth after another because the bite would put too much pressure on a tooth, he'd lose it, the pressure would shift to another tooth... Man never had a single cavity, no gum disease... and is in full dentures at this point. I think ortho is right up there with filling cavities. If you want to keep your teeth through your life span, you need to take care of them. Teeth were not designed for grinding along some 90 years. They evolved with a 40 year warranty and you're asking them to perform for another 40 years beyond the useful expiration date!

So you've got to make sure they're all lined up, clean, and doing their job.

7. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

well, we paid almost $500 down and are paying $142 and $141 a month on our 2 daughters. WE only fix teeth for children who have functional difficulties. In our family, your daughter would qualify because of the possibility of gum disease later on..

of the monthly payments, one is for 2 years of treatment and the other is for 4 years of treatment. Our orthodontist does not charge interest and she subtracts a couple of months from the total months before dividing to figure the payment.

our children have (court ordered) medicaid and one of them had a cleft palate and none of her teeth met (she had a 3/4" gap between her top and bottom teeth) and medicaid wouldnt cover it.

sometimes you just have to tightern your belt and do it.

Growing up none of us had braces... after we were adults and my mother was better off financially, she did brace 2 of my siblings.

8. via media

via media Tub-thumper

Yep, I agree with what everyone else is saying. Do it now, she will be grateful for a lifetime of trouble-free teeth. It was one of the best gifts my parents gave me. Not only was I able to floss and properly maintain my teeth but I wasn't humiliated about my appearance.

MC, I feel your pain. I wore my retainers faithfully for 4+ years as instructed, gradually tapering off. Now my teeth have shifted and the back of my top front tooth is banging on the top front of my lower tooth. It hurts and I am afraid I'm going to either wear away the enamel or chip my tooth. I need to get back into braces. :(

/VM

9. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

the orthodontist is telling us that when the braces are finished that the girls will need to wear thier retainers 3-4 nights a week for the rest of thier lives.

10. Lizza

We had that big expander that I had to turn twice a day. It really was a bummer. She cried the day we put it on at dinner time because she couldn't eat anything. Because I've gone through everything I was able to comfort her that it WILL be worth it and it does get better. My sister said she still remembers me coming home and crying the night I got on my expander. My mom blended dinner in a blender that night (my favorite meal and I was so sad I couldn't eat it).

I too didn't wear my retainer and had braces a second time at 17yrs old. It only took 6 months to re-fix them and then the dentist had my gums cut so that it would help not pull my teeth back. I faithfully wore that second retainer set for years! I'm now 34 and my teeth have remained perfect.

Ortho work is definetly a gift that keeps on giving the rest of your childrens lives. Remember good dental health extends your life by YEARS.

11. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

I spent a fortune to have DD2 in braces at age 9. The braces came off at age 11. Then she lost one set of retainers (@ $300) after another. The last set could not be replaced due to financial difficulties. The doctor says she will need braces again after her 12 year molars are in. I was going to tell her she had to wait until age 18 when she can pay for it herself, but after reading these posts, I may bite the bullet and borrow for another round....after DD1 is finished with her braces.

12. MorrisonCorner

The good news is.. braces have changed substantially. You even get to do a color decoration thing with the bands that hold the wires in place. I went orange and black for Halloween... Sounds silly, but changing the colors every 4 weeks has made the time go by more quickly.

The "modern" braces are a little more difficult to clean around, so plan on spending some time in the bathroom (we bought a water pik). And there is a long list of foods you should not eat, peanuts (one of my favorites) being high on the list.

Anyhow, don't wait. Things don't improve on their own and you'll be glad you went ahead and did it. I'll tell you, at 47 I felt pretty dumb sitting there with all the kiddies, until I went grocery shopping after my first appointment and ran into two other women with braces on their teeth!

Baby boomers are just finding out that the "float" not only can be fixed, but, since you've got another three or more decades to go on those teeth, probably should be fixed.

13. Selena

Selena proud to be pro-choice

Alas we aren't so lucky with the moving of teeth to cover "the gap" as it is the neighbor to one of her front teeth. A temporary "fake" is built into her removable retainer, she has a "cemented" one on the bottom. I have to admit both daughters are fanatics about wearing the retainer, older daughter dug through her suitcase after a late night arrival home from a band trip (even though I assured her she'd be ok skipping one night). She still wears them today, 6 years of wearing them at night. I can't complain. However I've seen all too many kids in my area not take the orthodontics seriously and what is even worse, the parents don't (at least to me) seem to take the time to "parent".

14. Lizza

My daughters missing teeth are on both sides of her upper jaw. We are crossing are fingers they can fix them. My husband and I both needed 4 teeth removed because of overcrowding so maybe she just won't need anything pulled.

I didn't mention it but my sisters perfect teeth actually were broken out in an accident. She lost the front two plus two more on one side. I'd have to ask my mom but I'm pretty sure 4 permanent fake teeth was not cheap!

15. MorrisonCorner

Morningstar, when I was a teen my ortho looked into my mouth, sighed loudly and said "please try and marry a man with a big jaw!"

:p

16. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

My oldest two boys had to have braces. My oldest fell when he was 3 and knocked a tooth out...and they didn't put a spacer in. If ANYONE has a child that loses a tooth prematurely...please beg them to put in a spacer. The orthodontist said that he wouldn't have had to have braces had he had that spacer!
    My younger son had to have major dental work. He needed to be married to the ones above that had missing teeth...he had 3 extras...LOL. We had to have them remove 3 extra teeth and 3 baby teeth so that his adult teeth would come down with this little thing that looked like a fence puller or come-along ratcheting strap. He also had to have bite expanders twice and then a morrow device? and one other one that I can't remember the name of. One was to align his bite and one was to bring his jaw forward. Anyway.....many thousands of dollars later...I have two sons with gorgeous teeth and every girl trying to get their attention! :rolleyes: My daughter didn't have to have braces. My husband and I didn't have to have braces, but I was in a retainer for 6 months to bring my two top teeth together after having a frenectomy(removing that thingy that goes down between your two top teeth)