Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering obtaining a bunch of these birds, likely buff orpingtons. I've heard that they are pretty docile, less likely to fly the coop than many other birds, pretty decent egg layers and also not too bad to eat when they start to slow down or stop producing eggs. Is this mostly true or am I being deceived? Does anyone have other pros or cons for orpingtons?

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Orpingtons are a bigger bird. Very calm and docile. They are generally good mothers too and go broody. Broody hens don't lay. In my experience, they aren't great layers, maybe one egg every 2-3 days on average.
As far as eating spent hens, year, they are edible, but only as stew pot birds. Any chicken that is two years or so old will be a little tough as a fryer.

·
Goshen Farm
7,272 Posts
I had a couple dozen BO when I was in Montana, the heavy breeds did better with the winters there, mine laid an egg a day even through the winter and they did go broody which was nice too.,

·
Registered
246 Posts
Love my buff's. Had them for years. They ARE great broodies, got two of them now. They love to be petted and picked up, including our rooster. Broodie One will hang on to her chicks for as little time as necessary to raise them but Broodie Two will keep them with her to the last minute.

They are very special in my coop. My reds didn't like them at first,but now they're all buddies.

Got them for the meat birds they were known for but haven't gotten around to recycling them just yet, trying to get ready for winter but I name them ALL:

Chicken Pot Pie, Chicken Green chile stew, Chicken Fajitas, Fried Chicken...lol.

Enjoy them, they're sweeties in the chicken world.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
They are my favorite layer. They lay very well, almost daily and forage very well too. I'm just feeding mine whole corn, kitchen scraps when available and they forage. They're quiet and docile. For some people broodiness is not desirable but for me it is highly desirable. I had one hatch out 18 this year and sold them all with very little feed and no electricity costs incurred. I haven't had any luck with buff orp roos though. Maybe this year will be different. The meat is tender and they are very easy to pluck when it comes time - I no longer butcher animals but back in the day when I did they were the easiest to pluck. Feathers are brittle. Skin is white. Healthy and hardy. Best all around layer, imo.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
I liked my buff orpingtons. The big roosters are gorgeous and
fun to have around. I still wouldn't mind getting them again,
though I'm more dedicated to black ausrtralorps for
personal preference. I had crosses with australorps
and buff orps. They were good layers and docile , though
no as pretty as either breed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts