Ornamental grasses?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by twind59, Feb 21, 2005.

1. twind59

twind59 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know of a source for ornamental grass "seeds"?
    It seems that most catologs offer ornamental grasses already growning, but I would like to try growing my own from seed.
    Thanks.
    Barry
    Indianapolis

2. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

I really don't, but what I did was to harvest several mature heads of pampas grass last fall. I'll be attempting to start it before long and will try to remember to report back on my success.

I noticed last year that there are quite a number of volunteer pampas grass clumps growing in road ditches. No doubt the seed blew to that location, probably some from stalks being transported to the local landfill.

You may also consider propogating more by volunteering to divide clumps for people. After a number of years some clumps will get a hollow center which makes it a good candidate to divide.

3. Steph in MT

Steph in MT Well-Known Member

4. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

Sharp Brothers is a good source for native grasses. I just bought some indian grass seed from the and got good service. Most reasonable prices I've found.

www.sharpbro.com

5. twind59

twind59 Well-Known Member

Windy, Thanks for the info. Interesting...just this morning I was driving through the neighborhood and noticed how huge some of the clumps of ornamental grasses had become. Perhaps "volunteering" to divide and replant them would be a good thing!
    Others...thanks for the links. I hope I can find a source in time to grow some yet this season.
    Barry

6. greenguy

greenguy Member

I was at a Menards (like Lowes) about 2 weeks ago and they had a whole stand of ornamental grass seeds. Probably around 20 varieties. I think the price was around $3 each