Original Thread from GH Forum

Discussion in 'Alternative Health' started by moopups, Aug 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    As this subject surfaces often and there are known 'nay sayers' that interrupt such often do be aware that this present area is 'off limits' to known persons. Feel free to discuss this subject here and now. This is not medical advice, we are not medical practitioners, anything stated here is just the opinion of the individual poster. Do not use anything said here in place of professional medical advice.

If you can provide any site addresses to back up your words, do post them. Please display your source of information.

I can speak for the effects of comfrey, in a suave form as to it being something that helps heal bone pain via a broken rib via a horse kick. Comfrey is also known as 'bone knit', it has been used for many decades as an external pain reliever for broken bones, such is mentioned often in the sites listed in the links library, under herbs and their applications.

2. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

Hallelujah! There have been many times that I've wanted to answer questions posted about natural remedies but didn't because of the "known person" (and we all know who he is!). Sometimes ya just don't want to fight, ya know?

3. Arkie1

Arkie1 Well-Known Member

Is this 'off limits' to naysayers comment just a suggestion that they/he not post or will some moderator action be taken if those naysayers post negative & insulting comments on this thread??

I just want to know before I start spending time posting about herbal successes just to have those negative types ruin any discussions. :grump: I don't have the time to waste if this is just going to be like all the other threads on herbal remedies & health. ;)

Thanks to whoever; the mods or Admin; if finally we can discuss this side of homesteading and have some assurance that we can discuss herbal remedies without all of the naysaying. I have to say the mods will have their work cut out for them; you have my thanks.

4. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Attention all posters, standby on this subject until I can run it by admin, they may choose to remove this. Not all posters can see this forum at this time, future further actions are being discussed.

I may have stepped over the line with this one, I guess we will find out together. The liability factor is the hold up on this subject, if this is removed I will set up an alternative site to discuss this matter separate of this group of forums. An alternative site, under my thumb, will require posted links for any information posted.

5. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I am going to close this thread for now. There is a concern amongst the Administration and some moderators that forum members should not be providing medical advice to other forum members. The concern is if a forum member was to take that advice and the result was, shall we say "negative,' that the forum member (or his/her survivors) may sue this forum for improperly dispensing medical advice or malpractice. A forum member has already been temporarily suspended for providing medical advice.

Stay tuned. I believe the Administration is working on a disclamer to cover our butts.

6. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

This thread is re-opened.

7. Marilyn in CO

Marilyn in CO Well-Known Member

Thank you, thank you, thank you, I have been wondering about the fate of this thread and happy to see it opened.

I was wondering if anyone else has used the kidney cleanse that can be found at www.kidneycleanse.com? My husband has used it several times with great success in apparently dissolving the stones and/or helping them to pass of which hydrangea is said to have the ability to do so. I just wondered if anyone else had tried this receipe and how it worked or didn't work for them. We didn't include the B6 or the magnesium.

8. jersey girl

jersey girl Well-Known Member Supporter

I am so happy to see this thread opened again. I will be reading daily.
    Thanks,
    Joanie

9. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

I had very severe gout and was on two different medications. Tried bettering my diet and drinking more water and all sorts of things. Nothing would work for long, started having attacks every few months and we I had an attack that was in both ankles, I was bed ridden.

A friend of mine found this site and I followed it. I haven't had to drink anymore in about three months and I have been able to eat and drink ANYTHING! I even ate oysters that I refused to eat for five years.

I CAN NOT RECOMMEND ANYTHING BETTER!!!

Changed my life. I no longer have to take medicine with me everywhere I go, not do I have to spend the money on medication. It worked for me and if you have severe gout you might want to give it a try!

http://www.icuredmygout.org/

10. TwoAcresAndAGoat

TwoAcresAndAGoat Well-Known Member

A couple of useful sites to bookmark

A place to buy bulk herbs
    http://www.herbalcom.com/store.php3?list=cats&session=fbc4893c211cd5674de2e80bde3f65f6

University of Maryland Medical Center - alternative medicin
    http://www.umm.edu/altmed/index.html

edited to add:

National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine
    http://nccam.nih.gov/

Tang Center for Herbal Medicin Research
    http://tangcenter.uchicago.edu/

HerbMed - NOTE: some information is only available if you signup and pay a subscription fee.
    http://www.herbmed.org/

11. Marilyn in CO

Google nspadvisor, this is a site where herbalists come to share information.

12. moldy

moldy Well-Known Member

I use grapefruit seed extract a lot in the winter for colds and such. If I take 15 drops in liquid (water, juice, whatever) twice a day when I first start feeling poorly, it seems to nip whatever I'm catching in the bud. GSE tastes awful!! - it's really bitter, but if it keeps me moving and from missing work, it's worth it. (hey, my kids don't call me Granny Clampett for nothing). Another "thing" I use is tonic. I make it in the spring,enough to last all year. It is equal parts chopped onion, garlic, horseradish, hot peppers (Scotch bonnets make it too hot - jalapenos or habeneros work great), ginger and echinachea. chop fine and cover with vinegar. Let set at least 2 weeks, then strain. The vinegar that is left is the tonic. I dose myself and family about twice a year. It just seems to give a little extra energy and better immune response when we are exposed to something. I usually also give it just prior to leaving on vacation, camps, etc to keep us all healthy while we are away from home.

13. Marilyn in CO

Hi moldy, I like your tonic, what form of echinacea do you use...the actual flowers/root/leaves or boughten capsule or liquid or does is matter? And what type vinegar do you use? Also, if I might ask, is this blend your own concoction?

14. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

I make this same tonic only without the echinacea...I make a seperate tonic with that...I got the recipe from Richard Schulze. We've used this stuff for several years now and it's great! In fact, I have two quarts of the stuff steeping in the cupboard...it's been in there since last winter! It should be REALLY potent by now.

In the past, I've just used echinacea leaves for the echinacea tonic because my plants weren't very big. Now, they've spread all over the place so I'm going to dig some up and use the roots. For this tonic, I steep it in vodka (because I've read that vodka works better with echinacea than vinegar does).

15. triana1326

triana1326 Dances in moonlight

So glad that the thread is reopened!!! I've been interested in medicinal herbs and plants for over a decade now and am always looking for new recipes and ideas...
    for a wonderful site to buy bulk herbs and other necessities, go to www.mountainroseherbs.com
    I'm not affiliated with them in any way, but I bought two pounds of lavendar from them last year and was delighted in both the price and the speediness of the delivered product...I also like that they offer a LOT of organic herbs that I have to pay big bucks for at a natural food store...
    Here's a recipe for cough drops - they taste a bit funky when you're used to the sugary taste of commercial cough drops, but I like them and they work for me!

Mullein Cough Drops
    ½ cup mullein leaves, packed
    1 cup boiling water
    1 1/3 cup brown sugar

Steep the leaves in the boiled water, covered, for one hour. Strain. Add brown sugar. Boil until the mixture reaches the soft candy stage, then pour onto a greased cookie sheet. With a butter knife, score out squares while the mixture is still soft. Allow to cool completely, then break into individual squares. Wrap each drop in waxed paper

16. vicker

vicker Well-Known Member

I was raised to think poke salad seeds are poisonous. They are not. They are a good medicinal for arthtitis. I weigh 185 and take 3, 4 times a day. Works wonders. They are also supose to be good for breast cancer. I found some stuff on the American Cancer Society web site.
    http://www.cancer.org/docroot/eto/content/eto_5_3x_pokeweed.asp?sitearea=eto
    You can find more by searching "Poke Berry" on yahoo or google.
    The berries loose effectiveness if dried.
    You can make wine from the berries but I havn't found a recipe.
    Seems the best way to keep it is by making a tinture with them.

17. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

I am not a user of herbs for medicinal purposes, but think the information could be vital in a SHTF situation.
    Would some of you please give a couple examples of the best books on the subject that could/should be part of a survival library?
    Thanks.
    Ann

18. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

I make that too, but we dont put in the echinachea and we call it super tonic!!! ( I do make an echinachea tonic seperately) Love the stuff, my kids dont "fake sick" any more, cause I always say, well, if you're getting sick, then you need some super tonic!!! When we make it, we let it sit for a full month, then strain. When I "give it" to the kids, I mix it with a bit of apple juice and honey... I also use organic vinegar too.
    There is nothing better than a good ol' boost of super tonic for the immune system...

Belinda

19. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

I too would like to know what are the best books on the subject.

BooBoo

20. melina

melina Well-Known Member

The two I go to most often are The Complete Medicinal Herbal by Penelope Ody, and Prescription ofr Herbal Healing by Phyllis Balch. I like the Ody book in particular because it gives actual pictures of the plants for identification.

I'm so glad this subject has been reopened. I just harvested my first echinacea roots last week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.