Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm going through the food we have on hand and making a list of how much I have and how much I would like to have on hand. I have a few questions. How should I go about adding to what I already have. There's not really a matter of importance, so should I jus go down the list till I have the amount of each item I want on hand.? Also if I want 12 of something on hand at all times, knowing I will use some each week should I buy a few extra? What about things I really don't use but would if shtf? Like canned fruit? We don't eat it often but would if fresh was not available. We have 400lbs of buffalo in the freezer, we don't normally eat canned meat, but would if it's all we had. So if I can some up how long will it be good for? Also DH is not really on board with the food part of prepping. He sees all the food I have stocked up on and feels I can use what we have so gives me very little money to shop with. I had a good paying job, but worked 60 plus hrs a week and he and I both hatred me being gone all the time. So I find a new job with less hrs and way less pay but he will expect me to get the regular shopping done and pay small bills with that. It's just not enough money to do all that, so how do I even begin to avoid using up what I have stocked? OK wow I think this became m more then a few questions. I think I'm getting more worried about the world and the stability of it every day. I don't want to get caught with my pants down, just not sure how to pull them up lol.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
If it's on a good sale and something we use a lot like, canned tomatoes, I will buy a dozen and a half since that will last me about 3 months with any fresh or frozen ones I have. Same with veggies, fruit, green chilies and peanut butter. When we were broke, I would buy 2 of something on sale, one to use and one to put back.

I use bonus bucks at Walgreen's, points at Kmart, CVS bucks and swagbucks for amazon cards to get extra preps as well.

One thing that helps is an inventory of what you have and what you will use over a week's/month's time. I don't menu plan but go more by the weather and what is going on for that day. I know that I use tomatoes at least 2-3 times a week, right now I have 42 cans of tomatoes, I will buy again at 30 cans or if they go on a good sale.

Expiration dates are not hard and fast. I just used a can of tomatoes dated 2012 on Wed. As for dh, perhaps putting your extras somewhere besides the pantry would help. Or take him to the store, what you buy now is a hedge against inflation. I took mine a couple of weeks ago, let's just say, he's like OMG and :facepalm: and :grumble::eek::censored: Though he's never said anything about the well stocked pantry, I take him just to shock him from time to time. :D

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
looking for sales on the items on my list is a great idea. Wish I could find a place to hide the stuff from him but just don't have the room. He's been to the store and sees how expensive things are. To be honest talking him with me shopping is way more stressful then trying to make what money I have stretch.

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
i buy in bulk...not sure what items yall buy and use...but buying 50# rice,25#flour,25# beans,gallon olive oil...goes a long way in making things.

if you can garden a bit then can it...my cupboards are almost bear of tin can items and filled with glass jars.

one thing for me was i just couldnt eat through the goods i had stored.another has been the last few years ingredients changing that cause reaction to me...like MSG. now that i am even far more away from store goods it seems as i even react faster and more. i.e. i splurged the other day..got some helluva good dip...i hadnt bought it in a very long time...i reacted..looked on ingredients on website...MSG....uggghhhh....it wont enter my home again...sorry for rambling.

i like bulk goods in 5 gallon buckets. as a very general rule they hold 30#....with it varying a bit like sugar and salt is more.but i dont have it exactly written down for reference.

tell him to cough up a bit of money its a team effort...other wise feed him cabbage every day for 2 weeks...roflmao...that will change his mind.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I try to by a dozen of what ever is on sale. 4 for current eating, 4 for when I cant get it on sale and 4 for preps. Every month before I make my main shopping list I check my shelves. I rotate move extras to the next area. I have current in kitchen, extra in closet, preps in small bedroom. I am now where I want to be on some items and still a long way on others. Ever month I get closer.

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
back in summer i was out of potatoes.i seen 50# of potatoes for $5.00...i grabbed 2 of them.$10 fed me a very long time and i canned 27 pints and still have another 50# besides my taters i just harvested.they are starting to go bad so i figure i will be canning again this week because i more than have recouped by money.i can make it go farther in savings.

overlook the lime deposits...and i had a jar bottom blow out and make an awful mess...i knew during processing it smelled like frying tater so i had product ooutside jar....lol

·
Lovin' my Fam
4,459 Posts
start a fall/winter garden-
buy only on sale in season and can can can ...

also the coupla small bills he wants you to pay?
Find a way to eliminate them or reduce them! LOL- and use it for stocking-
are they the electric? stop using the dryer- only hang clothes out-
is it the phone bill? go over it with afine tooth comb.. cut anything like call waiting long distance ect-
Cable bill? Bank it back to basic-

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i buy in bulk...not sure what items yall buy and use...but buying 50# rice,25#flour,25# beans,gallon olive oil...goes a long way in making things.

I do and have bought not so much in bulk, but have a large stock of things like rice beans and noodles. I need to go through those buckets to see what I have left. I know I will need sugar and flour for sure.

if you can garden a bit then can it...my cupboards are almost bear of tin can items and filled with glass jars.

I will be able to garden more next year, This year I was living at my job so no time to do much. Did a few containers but they didn't do well.

one thing for me was i just couldnt eat through the goods i had stored.another has been the last few years ingredients changing that cause reaction to me...like MSG. now that i am even far more away from store goods it seems as i even react faster and more. i.e. i splurged the other day..got some helluva good dip...i hadnt bought it in a very long time...i reacted..looked on ingredients on website...MSG....uggghhhh....it wont enter my home again...sorry for rambling.

i like bulk goods in 5 gallon buckets. as a very general rule they hold 30#....with it varying a bit like sugar and salt is more.but i dont have it exactly written down for reference.

tell him to cough up a bit of money its a team effort...other wise feed him cabbage every day for 2 weeks...roflmao...that will change his mind.
LMAO Umm ya no won't fly here. Not like he doesn't make more then enough, just won't give it up unless its for another gun we don't need LOL. Some say you can never have enough guns, but hey I can only fire so many at a time LOL

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
start a fall/winter garden-
buy only on sale in season and can can can ...

also the coupla small bills he wants you to pay?
Find a way to eliminate them or reduce them! LOL- and use it for stocking-
are they the electric? stop using the dryer- only hang clothes out-
is it the phone bill? go over it with afine tooth comb.. cut anything like call waiting long distance ect-
Cable bill? Bank it back to basic-
To late for garden stuff, we'll have our first frost/freeze in no time. As for the smaller bills The only one I could cut out is cable and I'm not sure that would go over well.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I try to by a dozen of what ever is on sale. 4 for current eating, 4 for when I cant get it on sale and 4 for preps. Every month before I make my main shopping list I check my shelves. I rotate move extras to the next area. I have current in kitchen, extra in closet, preps in small bedroom. I am now where I want to be on some items and still a long way on others. Ever month I get closer.
Thats kinda where I would like to be. I have had my preps where I felt fairly safe for short term, but he gets to seeing those and decides I don't need money to shop, use what we have.....well what will we use when shtf and we have nothing but a few days worth of stuff? He just doesn't get it nor wants to.

·
Lovin' my Fam
4,459 Posts
there are things you can grow indoors- like replanting green onions or the romaine hearts- my Mother Earth News mag had some winter hardy cold frame crops-

I understand the cable my DH would have a nervous breakdown if I cut his sports- BUT- he is onboard with my prepping food-
so I go with it-
cause he is the only reason we pay 85 bucks a month for TV- and he cans/dehydrates and drys and preps all the food WITH me-

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
there are things you can grow indoors- like replanting green onions or the romaine hearts- my Mother Earth News mag had some winter hardy cold frame crops-

I understand the cable my DH would have a nervous breakdown if I cut his sports- BUT- he is onboard with my prepping food-
so I go with it-
cause he is the only reason we pay 85 bucks a month for TV- and he cans/dehydrates and drys and preps all the food WITH me-
Your lucky to have that help, wish I could say the same. DH is not a bad guy, he just doesn't understand how important this is. He takes care of me and my kids in so many ways, just wish he would jump on board with prepping.

T

·
0 Posts
Do you get your own spending money? If he feels that he should be getting money for a gun, then why can't you spend money on what you want? My husband loves guns, too, but we are going to have a talk about saving up money tomorrow while he is trapped in the car with me for a couple hours lol

·
Premium Member
12,677 Posts
DH is basically your husband's twin in having the same belief about not prepping. His thought is that as long as the freezers are full we're good. I'm grateful for that much but it still didn't meet my needs for less stress about our food supply. As it's evolved he's had to become the grocery shopper due to my state of poor physical health. I give him a list and a check for the week's budget amount. If what he purchases is more than the check amount it comes out of his pocket. It's taken awhile but we now have a small 3 month supply of shelf stable food for the 2 of us that's not dependent upon a freezer for storage. A few items per week got put into the pantry. He argues about it but he likes having something to argue about and I don't mind giving him that pleasure in return for items he failed to purchase from my list. We play it as a child's game and don't really have any hard feelings toward each other. It's how two old people keep things interesting.

T

·
0 Posts
DH is basically your husband's twin in having the same belief about not prepping. His thought is that as long as the freezers are full we're good. I'm grateful for that much but it still didn't meet my needs for less stress about our food supply. As it's evolved he's had to become the grocery shopper due to my state of poor physical health. I give him a list and a check for the week's budget amount. If what he purchases is more than the check amount it comes out of his pocket. It's taken awhile but we now have a small 3 month supply of shelf stable food for the 2 of us that's not dependent upon a freezer for storage. A few items per week got put into the pantry. He argues about it but he likes having something to argue about and I don't mind giving him that pleasure in return for items he failed to purchase from my list. We play it as a child's game and don't really have any hard feelings toward each other. It's how two old people keep things interesting.

@SoulSurvivor.... I love that! <3

1 - 20 of 32 Posts