Organics article

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by midkiffsjoy, Jul 7, 2006.

1. midkiffsjoy

midkiffsjoy Bedias, Texas

2. georgiarebel

georgiarebel Well-Known Member

Just read this myself.

Here's a thought... Why not convert all farms to organic? We'd surely be better off for it. I don't really care to have my food imported from another country. If so, I think it should at least be marked where it comes from. I try to grow a lot of stuff myself, but the lack of rain this year has cut back on the quality and quantity compared to prior years.

This article leads me to believe that the average Joe is starting to wake up to the crap they've been putting in the bodies the last twenty years. Of which I believe has led to alot of the diseases.

I've been on somewhat of a health kick of late. Cut out all carbonated drinks. (only drink water & tea), and take a daily vitamins. Told myself if I can't pronounce the ingredients it doesn't go in my body. No more saturated or trans fats for me either. I feel better and have lost weight in the process.

GR

3. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I have a friend who has an organic vegetable and flower farm. She said they no longer go for the organic label because the government makes the licensing process so demanding. Besides which, the government's standards are much lower than their's were! So they are actually raising food of a higher standard than the gov's organic standard, but w/o the labeling.

As if the gov cared more than the organic farmers. I am sure some regulation is needed to keep the shysters from jumping on the bandwagon.

She does quite well with selling their produce in the farmer's markets. Folks around here know who is who.

The real answer would be to become a "localvore"---trying to eat as much locally produced food as possible. We just bought a pig from a local farmer and it tastes like pork used to. I had no idea that factory farmed stuff was so tasteless...I thought it was my aging taste buds...

4. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree with Jillis, that eating local food is best. Buying from local grower if you don't grow it yourself is more important than the "organic" label in many cases. The increasing demand for organic products is having the effect of large "non-organic" growers and marketers wanting a share of the market, and they want to change the rules so they can be "organic" too, instead of changing their growing methods.

I would buy from a local grower who isn't certified organic, but who makes an honest effort to farm or garden sustainably, than from a large company that raises a labelled "organic" product far away from me.

But there are some good large organic producers--Organic Valley is one that I am personally familiar with, and whose products I trust.