Organic

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by PLPP, Jun 1, 2005.

1. PLPP

PLPP Boer Lover

Ok if we wanted to sell Organic Eggs and meat (goats and chickens) How do we do that? Also does anyone know how to find out laws on legally selling eggs and meat? I know I can sell the animal before it is butchered and deliver but what if someone wants to buy a bird from me have me butcher it and deliver. I am in Nevada.

2. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

Laws vary form state to state. Need to check with you extention office for details.

You can not use the term organic unless you get certified.

3. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Actually, you can use the term organic without being certified if you are really smalltime, like under a certain $ amount (I think its $5,000 a year). However, why not say "raised without antibiotics/hormones or other added chemicals, grown in nature's sunshine and cared for like one of the family"--same message, less paperwork.

Joel Salatin addresses butchering in one of his books. He says something like, he sells you the chicken on the hoof (so to speak) and offers butchering for free. No license needed he says. Or you could rent one of the mobile butchering trailers some states have access to. Check with your county extension agent, bet your state has an agriculture link online as well.

4. PLPP

PLPP Boer Lover

True I guess that would be the easiest.

5. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

PLPP,

You are asking several different questions. Beware the information that anyone gives you (I refer to the first post which is absolutely incorrect as to whether you can use the term organic without being certified.

For Federal Government (U.S.) about selling organic, go to:

http://www.ams.usda.gov/nop/Q&A.html

This is the USDA Frequently Asked Questions Page for selling Organic. If your gross sales (of all products) is less than $5,000 a year you may opt out of certification.

Personally I view the legislation as hijacking a word that some of us have used for decades. It generally benefits the large players (distributors and retailers) muchmore than small producers that sell directly to consumers. I will refrain from going into my rant at length. We use the term natural or chemical free instead. Studies have shown that consumers respond to the word local to a greater extent than the word organic.

You will need to check with your state department of agriculture or health to find out what requirements you will need to meet for selling eggs and meat. It will vary depending on how you approach it. If you sell freezer beef and the person pays the butcher/slaughterhouse themselves then you escape a lot of issues associated with selling beef (just an example). If you sell eggs directly from your farm to people you may face less regulation than if you sell wholesale (or even deliver).

Hope this helps.

Mike

6. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Mike has described exactly how I buy our beef. We pay the butcher/wrap fee as well as extra to cover the farmer's costs. He collects the money and delivers the beef wrapped to our specs. Perfect. Plus it is grass-fed without antibiotics and minimal chemicals at all(he does use wormer), definitely clean before butchering. Makes it worth 3 times+ what we pay for it, so we eat gourmet on a shoestring and the farmer gets the $ he asks for. Everyone wins.

It always cracks me up when I read about the wonders of grass-fed beef and how it costs so much and is so gourmet, when most small time farmers are happy to sell you a half just so straight from the farm.

7. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

you can't sell nothing in michigan, like that legally, right off the farm.
    but they don't say much, if you sell eggs, but you can't sell meat or milk, or nothing like that at all. against the law.

8. sue currin

sue currin Well-Known Member

you are not limited to the state regs on certifing for organic growers. for instence live in NC it coast 2 times to be certifed there then FL but you can get FL certifed in NC. I think FL serves all 50 states it called FOG. you can look it up to see what is intelled I know the application is much easier for FOG then foe COG in NC

9. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Debitaber: he is selling me a half-share on the hoof. Someone else buys the other half. He kindly delivers our live beef to the butcher who then butchers it. He is selling a live animal, which I assume is legal in your state. He provides the delivery service for free, basically.

10. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

Paul,

No offense taken.

I would have much preferred to continue to use the term organic (If you get down to it, that is just as silly a term technically but is generally understood). I simply refuse to conform to the "new" government requirements on principle.

The people who buy our products generally meet us personally (or hear of us from friends if they aren't local) and can see our methods whenever they like. If our customers have questions we will answer them or if possible show them how or what we do. There are limits though.... we generally don't allow people around while we are working the hives, etc. Sometimes people will stand at a distance and watch.

Would you be happier if the phrase was "No man-made chemicals"? I woulnd't want to eat honey from a hive treated with checkmite (Even if the directions are followed). Anything that nasty is something I don't want around me or anything I eat.

As usual, just my 2 cents.

Mike