Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Highlands recommends garlic powder; I believe its 1 oz per 100 pounds of weight for a week. I did it with my pigs as a precaution and they look great but don't think they were wormey in the first place.

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
Our number one parasite control is simply good managed rotational grazing. Done right his breaks the parasite life cycle.

Healthy animals help since parasites tend to go after already stressed animals.

As noted above, garlic is something we work. I've done double blind studies on it across multiple species with excellent results.

The pumpkin seeds are supported to work but even with the large number of pumpkins we grow I don't think we have enough for that and they're highly seasonal.

The cold of winter is another control.

In the end, if you have an animal that is struggling with worms I would suggest hitting it with Fenbendazole and Ivermec sequentially. Just observe the withdrawal times and double them if you want extra safety. I don't like the chemical dewormers because of concerns for the soil fauna but there are times for them. A fecal test is the best way to find out what is going on but observations of gums, inner eye lid, growth rate, coat and general condition all are indicators.

-Walter

See: http://SugarMtnFarm.com/worms-au-natural

·
Registered
4 Posts
Food grade diametrus earth. I use it for the dogs too. ..and incidentally to make homemade toothpaste. Not sure about the spelling. Most feed stores sell it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
@piginpoke...well...as to "why" it is a re mineralization toothpaste made with the DE, I love it. Been making and using it several months now and I will never go back to the store bought stuff again. My teeth and gums have never felt better or looked healthier.

·
Registered
255 Posts
@piginpoke...well...as to "why" it is a re mineralization toothpaste made with the DE, I love it. Been making and using it several months now and I will never go back to the store bought stuff again. My teeth and gums have never felt better or looked healthier.

Two things. First, diatomaceous earth is the skeletal remains of tiny little creatures and is very abrasive. I would talk to my dentist about using it as a toothpaste since the enamel on our teeth is very thin and subject to damage from abrasion. I'm no dentist, but I do understand abrasives.
Second, the reason DE works as an insecticide is for the same reason: it's an abrasive. When an insect passes over or through it the minute particles become lodged in the many folds of it's exoskeleton and abrade it away, thus killing the insect. A worm has an hydrostatic skeleton and is designed to wriggle it's way through abrasive material. Think earthworm. That is why I think that there is no conclusive proof that DE acts as a wormer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
To each their own, I have seen, with my own eyes, it work as a wormer and yes, I know it's an considered an abrasive, and I have had a dentist comment about the difference in my teeth for the better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts