Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am interested in a trial upick berry patch. I wanted to plant some strawberries this year or the next. I would be cultivating a field that was originally a pasture but has been hayed by our neighbor for about 20 years. I am a farmers market manager and have a very good concept of marketing strategies so I’m not worried about that.

I am looking for wisdom in raising strawberries. Any literature, experience, etc would be great. I would prefer to go as organic as possible. Most of my farming knowledge is in raising livestock (sheep/hogs rotationally grazed) I have experience growing vegetables in our 1/4 acre vegetable garden but no fruit production history. I am planning on putting in 2 50 ft rows of strawberries this fall in my garden to play arround with them. Currently we do notill gardening.

We’re zone 6 in the Ozarks of Missouri. The field is in bottom land across from a creek so the soil there is a little better than general Ozarks. Is not the lowest area so flooding is not an issue (it hasn’t flooded in the 10 years we have been here, the field next to it floods every year). It is on the south/west side of a bluff.

Hope that’s enough info, thanks!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts