Homesteading Forum banner

Organic orchard

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  oregon woodsmok 
#1 ·
We have 30 fruit trees of various types. (apple, peach, nectarine, plum,pear, asian pear, cherry) We planted 9 years ago. We have tried to be organic and I spray Neem Oil regularly. This past summer I sprayed literally every 7-10 days. We've also had leaf curl pretty bad in the peach and nectarine so over the past several years I have sprayed copper fungicide. We had peaches this summer for the first time in 5 years.

Even though I spray Neem, and I started spraying at bud, we still have buggy fruit...especially the apples. What do you do to protect your organic fruit?

#3 ·
Spinosad is a “natural” product, but it can kill bees.

#4 ·
We've had our property for 2 years and it has about 24 apple and cherry trees. Other than hanging Irish Spring soap to deter deer last year, we've not sprayed or done anything but prune. I've noticed a couple of trees have apple rust which hasn't appeared to harm the trees. They didn't fruit at all this year ( I think I pruned the fruiting stems) so I haven't determined if the rust will harm fruit.

As for insects, I make it a habit to view the trees and hand pluck caterpillars/insects for the chickens. I worry more about the deer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.