Organic Livestock Feed

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by snoozy, Mar 14, 2004.

Do/Would you buy "organic" livestock feed ?

1. "Organic" is not important to me

2. I do/would buy organic feed, if it is available, even at twice the price

3. I do/would buy organic feed, if it is only a bit more expensive than regular

4. I do/would buy organic feed, if it is available at the same price as regular

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

How many people buy organic feed for their animals -- or would if it were available? I have found that it costs twice as much as regular feed -- is it worth it to you?

2. nobrabbit

nobrabbit Transplanted Tarheel

I don't know if ours is necessarily organic but we buy only non-medicated and non-additive feed for our animals. It doesn't cost anymore that the regular medicated feed.

3. beaglady

beaglady Well-Known Member

I'll be buying organic feed for the 100 broilers that I'm raising for hubby & I, 2 grown sons & my parents. I'll also use it for my meat turkeys. Over the winter, I ended up feeding conventional feed to my layers. This is a matter of convenience, more than cost. There isn't anywhere to buy organic feed without driving about 60 miles one way. Since I'm not a big fan of driving in winter slop, I chose to use what I could get without the road trip. Next winter, I'm hoping to be able to store larger quantities, maybe of whole grains, so I can stockpile feed and stay organic all winter.

I don't like the chemical companies messing with plant genetics, so I'm trying to avoid GMO crops when possible. As far as I know, most if not all commercial feeds are made from 'roundup ready' corn and soybeans.

4. bergere

bergere Just living Life

I feed my Livestock and poultry Certified Organic feed. In this area it is not that much more than the standard stuff from the local feed store.
    Even if it was double the price I would buy it.

What scares me is what the USDA allows in standard feed store animal feed. And what we feed the animals, well,,,, we end up eating that too. :eek: Be it through eggs or meat.

So for me, I find it gives me a piece of mind to go the route I have. Certified Organic is the way to go.

Oh, for those interested in Organic grains and Top Notch Chicken feed.
    Azure Standard carries it...
    www.azurestandard.com

5. ozarkmtmama

ozarkmtmama Active Member

Organic feed is not available locally, but to sidestep the meds, we mix our own feeds by buying (or sometimes growing) grains and mixing according to each animals needs. That way we know exactly what the animals are eating. I don't mind giving an animal medication if it is sick and needs the meds to get well ( just like for humans), but I won't feed medication routinuely, so we avoid premixed feed altogether.

6. Meadowwood

Meadowwood Active Member

I have a lot of people who want pasture raised, organicly fed poultry, including my family. Most of them are recovering from illnesses where conventional Dr.'s told them they had limited time to live and or to go home and die, that there is nothing to be done. These people have fought back through nutriton and diets of organic raw milk, eggs, veggies etc. and now are living testimonies that food value does matter! I will buy organic, no matter the price, because the alternative is unacceptable. The truth about the food chain is absolutly scary and fortunatly we listened to the wakeup call! Now we grow it ourselves, buy it from reputable places or barter with others of the same mind, or we go without! As others have said, "you are what you eat, and what they eat"!

Darlene

7. Tom McLaughlin

Tom McLaughlin Tom

I don't like the chemical companies messing with plant genetics, so I'm trying to avoid GMO crops when possible. As far as I know, most if not all commercial feeds are made from 'roundup ready' corn and soybeans.[/QUOTE]
    From what I have been reading GMO's are causing problems with l seed stock even organic. Some area's are creating GMO free zones. I fed certified feed(cows and poultry) until the price in this area tripled that of a grain mix. It is nearly $30.00 cwt. here and doesn't include shipping cost.I now use a local mill mix for $10.75cwt. and no shipping cost. It's too bad but it has priced itself out of my wallet.

8. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

I would think that if you were selling your animals or animal products, then there is no way to compete against factory farms on price -- you could only really make it if you are producing a better product, servicing a market that agribusiness doesn't cater to. Like organic, free-range, non-GMO & antibiotic, etc.

9. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Explain to me in simple terms exactly what "organic feed" means. Also please tell me what GMO crops are.

10. bergere

bergere Just living Life

11. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

A few years ago I had my local feed supplier call the mill where the local store gets it's grain-based feed from. The mill stated flat out they do not and will not buy GM corn and their growers have signed a contract to that effect. Made me feel lots better.