Organic Houseplant fertilizer?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Ann Mary, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

I am looking for a good organic houseplant fertilizer...do you have a recipe for one that you like? Maybe it has things like epsom salts, or or tea water or kelp or??? I'd sure appreciate hearing what you use on your plants-especially the ones you eat-like an herb- that doesn't have any chemicals in it. And, what about a manure tea...or 'not' in leiu of the e-coli outbreaks of late. Any ideas??? :shrug:

2. MsPacMan

MsPacMan Well-Known Member

I like one that you can buy in the commercial market: Seaweed extract with fish emulsion. The better nurseries carry this product, and I would imagine you can find it on the net.

You mix the extract with water, so a little bottle will go a LONNNNNGGG way.

3. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

If you have access to chicken or rabbit manuer, I recommend making a tea with i and using that, rather than buying anything, labled organic or not...there are still chemicals in products purchased from the store.

4. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

And you don't have any odor problems with the manure tea or tiny black gnats being attracted to it or anything? I have both rabbit and chicken manure and make the tea for outside use but wasn't sure if it would be too high in nitrogen or smelly for inside use...guess it would depend on how strong it is made. Thanks!

5. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i use rabbit poo. it is mild enough you can apply it directly. i imagine it wouldn't smell as bad if it were diluted.