organic grain

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Unregistered-1427815803, May 26, 2004.

1. I need some advise on marketing organic grains. I purchase this farm
    5 years ago and the tillable ground, appprox 30 acres has been farmed by the same farmer since the early 80s, the farm is certified organic and has been for over 15 years. The guy who is share cropping the tillable ground just brought me my share of the corn crop and told me that
    he sold the corn for 3.00 per bushel..Iam not sure of the protein percent
    but 3.00 per bushel seems very low to me. I let the tennant farmer handle all the details as I dont have the time nor the experience to deal
    with this size of marketing.. any thoughts would be helpfull

gregg

2. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Sounds like he got normal market price Organic or not.Truth is,now someone will say I'm wrong on this! But I don't see much market for Organic Grain.Vegatables and Fruits,yes.

big rockpile

3. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

$3 abushel is a decent price for corn. if the local elevator pays a premium for organic, then you have it made. If not, then the costs of transporting the corn would probably eat up any extra profit. you can see if there is a premium for food-grade corn too. that might earn you a bit more.

if you have storage, you can try to market it yourself, with the buyer responsible for transport. check with feedmills in your area that may want organic grains.

jena

4. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

I don't know what the Organic Trade Association could do for you but it's possible they could give you information on buyers of organic corn in your area or possibly the chapter, if there is one, closest to you.

Their website:
    http://www.ota.com/index.html

5. mtfarmchick

mtfarmchick Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about organic corn, but my husband works for a farmer that provides General Mills in Great Falls, MT with about 90% of their organic wheat. Organic wheat brings about 3 times the price that regular wheat does. The market consists of organic pastas, breads, and flour. Everytime I go to the grocery store I see the organic market increase.
    We grew organic flax on our 20 acres last year. After paying for seed and equipment time to plant and harvest I think we still ended up with around $9000. That was selling it wholesale. If we would have packaged and marketed it ourselves it would have increased greatly.
    What type of corn is it? Some people want certified organic for their livestock.

6. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

Also look at newfarm.og and go to OPX (organic price index). #2 corn is $4.60-$5.50/bu.

The market for organic grain will continue to grow. The organic meat market is exploding and ONLY organic grain may EVER be fed to certified animals. That goes for dairy & eggs too.) My local feed mill is organic only and they are shipping feed as far away as Texas and Florida. The market is there, it is huge, and it is not visible thru the traditional channels. You are sittin' on a gold mnine- just gotta find that "shiny stuff" market!

7. A big thanks to all of you how responded to my problem..I should also tell you that we rotate the crops every year and this year we will have
    wheat and milo..about 15 acres of each. I will follow up on some of you leads...Perhaps I should just store my share of the grains on the farm from now on as I have bins available
    Thanks again

gregg

8. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

mtfarmchic: I give up- exactly what is flax?

9. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Sorry , got off my butt and looked it up, interesting stuff it it.