Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every spring our dog, Joe, starts losing his hair (scratching almost constantly). A vet told us that he is allergic to fleas. Nothing we do at home seems to work. The only thing that appears to keep his problem at bay is a pill that we have to get through her for $20 a pop! Add to that all of the chemicals that we are putting in his body and I can't stand it! Does anyone know of an alternative organic and possibly cheaper solution than $20 a month? We have other dogs that are not allergic to the fleas that I would love to find an organic flea control for also.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
I give my dogs a mix of kelp and garlic and it keeps fleas away. I also have one dog who is allergic to them. Here is what I do. I buy a jar of garlic powder from the dollar store. I dump out all but 1/4 of the jar. I then fill the jar with granulated kelp (order online- NOW is a good brand and inexpensive) leaving enough room to mix. I shake it well. I then sprinkle the mix on the dogs food- the amount you would to season your meat before baking. It takes about 3 weeks to get into the system and work, and if you continue giving daily, it will provide protection for as long as you give it. I use it year round as the benefits of kelp and garlic are more than flea prevention...the micronutrients and iodine in kelp are beneficial for thyroid support and general health and the garlic is good for heart support among other things.
When my son took over feeding while I was really busy time with traveling, he neglected to give the mix to the dogs that were home. When my pups were born, we had fleas and so did all the dogs in the kennel. When I asked if he remembered the sprinkles (that's what I call the mix)- he said no- hasn't given it since he started feeding a month before. I immediately started everyone on it, and stressed the importance to him. I did use spot on that day as I knew it would take a few weeks to kick in and the spot on lasts for about 3 weeks. I flea combed pups a few times a day and treated the house (spray everything from floor to waist high- include solid floors as they have cracks and under furniture and cushions and drapes) with a household spray with IGR (Nylar) from Walmart. You only need to use this once every 8 months (I do 6 mo as it is easier to remember December and June) and it keeps fleas from infesting the house. After 3 weeks we were flea free and they did not come back. You do need to keep your house treated every 8 months too though as if fleas come in on your clothes, they will start looking to you for a meal since the dogs are now off limits. It works for me- I use no flea prevention on the dogs other than that (except for that one time). Most of the people that have tried this has said it works well too. I have only heard of one person that said it did not work, but maybe they did not give it for the 3 weeks or so before deciding that. So for less than $20 a year, you can control fleas easily and naturally.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Are you sure it's a flea allergy? Is it possible that it's an allergy to a spring blooming plant?
If it actually is fleas, I would recommend that you get some food grade dietamatious earth (crushed seashells) and sprinkle it liberally around your house (inside too), yard and kennels. You can even use it on the animals themselves. It will kill fleas and any other insects it comes in contact with without harm to the dogs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts