Organic Feed

Discussion in 'Livestock' started by COSunflower, Aug 10, 2016.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Feb 24, 2003
    Use a mix of Wheat, Milo and Sunflower with scrap Meat should be good all Winter.

big rockpile
  2. haypoint

haypoint Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate Supporter

Oct 4, 2006
    Northern Michigan (U.P.)
    As with many topics, there are two sides and sometimes what you think/feel isn't supported.
    GMO is one of those topics. Getting enough info to make a choice is hard. There are many sites that appeal to emotions and not backed up by facts. I'll make a tiny dip into this topic.
    Laboratories have been able to modify plant DNA to do two things. One is to resist glyphosate. The other has BT, an organic bacteria, found every where in soil, in the plant. It kills grubs the same way BT kills insects in your garden, except it is in the plant, not on it.
    The BT in the plant isn't toxic to humans, just as it isn't toxic when spread on your organic garden. The resisting the effects of glyphosate makes No-Till farming possible. For years, farmers cultivated to remove weeds and accepted the loss of top soil caused by constantly working up the soil's surface. No-Till leaves the plant residue on the surface to help hold the soil in place. With No-Till, instead of constant weed cultivation, the fields are sprayed when the crop is small. This reduces the fuel needs and fewer trips means less soil compaction.
    So, in my mind, GMO crops reduce soil loss, reduce insecticide sprays and eliminate the need for the toxic herbicides formerly used.
    While these traits were created in a laboratory, other plants have adapted these traits all on their own. In nature, plant DNA changes all the time.
    Please do not change what you do based on me. Just trying to offer some understanding to this hot topic.