Organic farmers - beware of GMO's

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Madame, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Madame

Madame Well-Known Member Supporter

I recently learned that many 'organic' farmers are unintentionally raising GMO plants. They buy organic seed, but are apparently not told that the organic seeds are GMO seeds.

So, those of you who farm organically - be wary and ask questions!

2. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

OK I have a question. what is GMO?

3. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

I'll take a guess and say.."genetically modified organic"?
    I haven't a clue either... will have to wait till someone tells us what GMO really is...

Kaza

4. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

Madam, I would really like to know exactly what and where you
    heard" this concerning organic GM seeds. I grow strictly organic and EVERY organic seed company I order from state clearly in their catalogs and on their WEB sites their seed is NOT GM. GM seed is NOT CONSIDERED organic by any stretch of the imagination. GM = genetically modified, have never heard of GMO!

5. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

Wooo Hooo!!!! I was right!! talk about a lucky guess.... hehehe

Kaza

6. Madame

Madame Well-Known Member Supporter

Our ag teacher heard it from a guy who runs tests on the crops. I can see about getting more info if you so desire.

7. albionjessica

albionjessica Hiccoughs after eating

A GMO is a genetically modified organism. It's not something to scorn, or take lightly. Here is a great government source if you are interested in reading more about them:
    http://www.ornl.gov/sci/techresources/Human_Genome/elsi/gmfood.shtml

Humans have been manipulating genetics for centuries by selective breeding and environmental manipulation. How else do you think we have so many different dog, chicken, cat, goat, cow, etc breeds? Nowadays we simply have a more efficient way of creating the organism we want by using transgenic methods (either recombining or knocking out genes of interest).

A seed can still be organic and a GMO. As a matter of fact, it may make organic gardening/farming easier to use GM seeds because resistance to certain insects or diseases has already been programmed into the seeds... hence, you don't need chemicals. Many GM seeds are able to propogate normally, but there are a lot of hybrids that will not breed true. In the latter case, you will be dependent on a seed manufacturer for your yearly supply... which is a definite drawback.

GMO's can still have mutations in successive generations, so they have just as good of a chance as any other organism in combatting a new disease or pest. Hybrids, since they don't breed true, will have to be remade by their company to combat the new disease in the next season.

8. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

my concern with genetically modified foods is the risk of allegens etc. nature's process is a slow one. sure we can speed it up but we cannot speed up our acceptance of the new protein structures. nature works slowly and those with severe allergens to common foods most likely died off long ago. if we speed up the evolutionary process we will encounter bad mutations at a greater rate. we may not even know something is bad until it has an effect on someone and can be studied.

all the while we become more reliant on a less diverse food base as only certain "productive" foods are mass produced. many species of heirloom foods are gone. sad as they each have specific uses (environment, etc). if the world becomes reliant on a handful of foods, what happens in the event of disaster? maybe some of the antique varieties of food would work better in certain particular disasters like draughts or maybe some unforseen pest infestation.

9. MississippiSlim

MississippiSlim Well-Known Member

If breeding for a better plant is considered genetically modifying...wouldn't all domesticated plants be considered "GM" I mean even so called "heirloom" varieties were at one time crossed and selectively bred for certain traits??Otherwise they would still be the same as wild varieties.

10. pickapeppa

pickapeppa Well-Known Member

When I hear GM it gets me thinking of animal or insect genes inserted into plant genes. It's something that wouldn't come about through generations of selective breeding. For example, Bt corn. Bt is a bacteria. The Bt bacteria secrete a protein that causes certain crop damaging larvae inability to excrete wastes, they therefore die as a result. The gene of the bacteria has been inserted into the corn genetics. It's an unnatural change. It also disrupts the genetic code of the corn itself in certain areas. Nobody can control where the gene lands in the GM genome. Depending on where it lands, it can combine with other genes and produce aberrant proteins which will be ingested. The products of the new genes are likely quite variable in their expression. I'm under the impression there hasn't been a whole lot of research into the safety end of it.

I guess what I'm referring to is called "transgenic". It does fall under the GM category. GMO stands for genetically modified organism.

11. mountainman_bc

mountainman_bc Well-Known Member

Certified Organic means NO genetically modified organisms allowed. You can't be certified by a third party if you are lying on this one.

Genetic pollution is these 'tomatoes with salmon genes' crossing with regular tomatoes. MONSANTO will sue you if your tomatos or other crop has genetic pollution, because they copyright their seeds and genes within.

This isn't about natural selection. It's about "creating" new and unnatural hybrids. It's about playing god.

No, GMO's will not help certified organic farmers. We have already found better varieties to grow. We don't need our corn to be resistant to herbicides. We don't need any of that crap. Corn that exudes BTK? We don't need it. The only people that will benefit are the GM (chemical companies) and the farmers that grow corn/potatos etc in the same spot every year. They could really learn a lot about farming by researching organic methods. They're just ruining the soil.

If you support GM food then you support your veggies being drenched with herbicides. These veggies are immune to herbicides, allowing farmers to spray willy nilly without harming the "crop". The chem companies are making a killing. It just doesn't make any sense. American's for whatever reason believe in their government way too much. Parts of Europe this stuff is labelled so you can make an educated decision at the grocery store. The people stood up, and won. Nobody here stood up they just keep eating. I think America is sliding backwards into greed personally. This is a money issue sold off as a good will charity venture. If you believe that...

12. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Wonder which Monsanto troll will be dispatched here this time?

BooBoo

13. pickapeppa

Do they lurk here? :eek:

14. pickapeppa

Perhaps a class action lawsuit alleging cross contamination of "heirloom" varieties would get their attention?

15. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

Only in that they would counter sue the growers for growing GM crops without a license.

16. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, Madam, I would be interested in further information. Monsanto has a corner on the market for GM seeds and according to Monsanto every farmer who buys and plants, and grows their seed must sign a contract to that effect and they pay a premium for the seed, and if the crop inadvertently pollinates/crosses with a neighboring crop, Monsanto goes after THAT farmer who has to pay for the "use" of Monsanto technology. Farmer in Canada was sued by Monsanto for having "their" seed mixed in his rape crop and after several years in court the farmer lost BIG TIME to Monsanto. Maybe the guy testing the crops is picking up cross pollination from other GM crops?

17. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

my question is if the farmer who got sued felt like his crop afterword (raped) ?

18. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

maybe the laws need to change so that any engineered species that can reproduce and could cross-pollinate with other species could be exempt from protection. it is irresponsible for a corporation to manufacture something that could result in such a situation as the canadian farmer found himself in. i understand a company wishing to protect it's product but that should be limited to the product itself and not any irresponsible offspring.

if i were to "manufacture" a species of , let's say fowl, that got loose and breed with both wild and domestic fowl, should i also have claim on the unintended offspring? if they established a habitat in a national park somewhere and the government charged admission to the park, could i sue?

perhaps the farmer should sue them for ruining the genetic integrity of his crops.

19. Marilyn in CO

Marilyn in CO Well-Known Member

We farm 200 acres of corn every year. No GM seeds here, but it is getting increasingly harder to find the Non GMOs. We do NOT like them because the GMO corn is inferior in nutritional quality. I know the seed corn big whigs will argue day and night that it is but we feed it and we can tell or I should say the cattle can tell....they do not gain as well on it. We grind whole corn into a hi moisture pit and we can tell the difference of the appearance/smell/texture of a nonGMO and GMO. A neighbor did an experiment with cornstalk pasture of 1/2 GMO and 1/2 nonGMO and offered it to his cows. The cows ate the nonGMO cornstalks and left GMOs. GMOs=dead nutritionally=BAD

I will always choose a seeded watermelon over a tasteless seedless one.

20. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

Touche!