Organic corn for my pellet stove

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Cabin Fever, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I am looking for an organic source of corn for my pellet stove. I don't want any corn raised with toxic chemicals or any of that GME corn, either. I'm afraid that burning that mega-farm corn would pollute the air in and around my house. Besides, I would imagine that organic corn would have a much higher BTU value than corn that is pumped full of chemicals.

2. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

AW CF, now yer just messin' with people.

:rotfl:

3. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

actualy there is gm corn with higher BTUs

4. dagwood

dagwood Well-Known Member

Have ya called Martha Stewart? I'd bet she could help ya......and don't forget Oprah too...... :hobbyhors :hobbyhors

5. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

While y'all are looking could you keep an eye out for some tuna safe canned dolphin meat?

Now where did I put that spotted owl sandwich..............

6. Drizler

Drizler Well-Known Member

You could burn it but why bother? The standard stuff doesn't get into your house like smoke from a wood stove. That's why they are recommended for folks with asthma rather than a wood stove. Any pellet stove has a much smaller footprint than any wood stove. I wouldn't worry about it. The one particular type of corn that is taboo is seed corn. That is loaded with insecticide and not suitable for burning in a stove . This year you will have a hard time just finding corn that's not a rip off. They want $180 around here for dirty dusty feedlot stuff now days. What a rip off.

7. texican

texican Well-Known Member

CF
    I'd prefer my food burning stove to be dipped in chemicals, especially if the stove had a glass door for viewing.....I think the colors you get from all the extra genetics give off such a lovely glow. :rolleyes:

I get dizzy every time I think about corn stoves...
    ...now if the sapsuckers burned cobs, well that'd be different.

Of course, having free gas and unlimited amounts of firewood sorta make corn stoves silly, at least for me.

8. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm looking for a vaccine burning stove. You might be poisoned by inhaling the fumes but you'd be saving all those poor children from innoculations from the evil pharmaceutical companies.