Ordering seeds

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by jackie c, Nov 30, 2004.

1. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Well I went through the seed catalogues, and picked out what I going to order. I plan to run a small CSA next year (about 30-35 shares) My bill (not including shipping and taxes) has come to about $350. Boy, all those little seeds sure add up. I've ordered many heritage seeds, and plan on saving lots so to cut down this seed bill. The one thing I can't find are the red or the yellow carrots. I think they are hybrid. There was one yellow one in my carrots this year, and wow was it ever sweet. Does anyone know where I can get these types of carrot seed?

2. I was interested to hear about your yellow carrot, I also had some yellow ones but instead of eating them, let them go to seed and recently planted that seed, so it will be awhile till I see if they are any good or not.

As to your ? about seed sources, I was looking at an ARS-USDA article on carrots the other day, can see it here: http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/AR/archive/nov04/carrot1104.htm and if you go to the researchers website there is a comprehensive list of links to carrot seed sellers and links to each: http://www.ars.usda.gov/Research/docs.htm?docid=5236

I think that I will try the whole range of colors as they are all open pollinated and I can save seeds.

Hope to see feedback as to how yours turn out and taste.

3. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Jung's Seed Co. has Yellowstone yellow carrots. They were the ones that I sent out to many gardeners on this forum several years ago, 2001 season. The site is still 2004 but prices and availability is still the same. However, they don't ship to Canada. They'll be available at their store outlet in late-January in case you need an "agent".

http://www.jungseed.com

Personally, I grow Lobbericher yellow carrots. These are fairly common in Central Europe for both human and dairy animal consumption. Alas, there are no commercial US sources that I know of and regulations now prohibit the casual import of seeds from any foreign country.

Martin

4. sbeerman

sbeerman Well-Known Member

Jackie, Could you tell us how big your garden will be? I've been thinking about CSA and am not sure I have enough garden. Is the 30-35 shares about what one person can handel or will you have help?
    Thanks Sandie OR.

5. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

My gardens are about 1 acre total. I plan on doing it myself, but if I need help I have a few neices that I will hire, for next year anyway. I don't plan on growing corn or potatoes because the market here is saturated with those veggies in season. They take up too much room and are hard to harvest by hand.
    Thanks for the links, I'll check them out later (very tired, had to go to town today, yuck! I'm bushed)
    I don't know if carrots will go to seed in our short growing season, but will try it out with some heavy mulch next year.

6. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

jackie, I saw Yellowstone Carrot in Thompson and Morgan Seed Catalog. I've bought seeds from them before and highly recommend them, though some are a bit expensive. I've never grown yellowstone, but I remember one year growing the T & M seed of Hercules giant cabbage....BIG! They also had excellent brussels sprout seeds, at that time 'Oliver', but the new one I see in their catalogue looks promising.
    Though you won't grow corn, some super sweet bicolor varieties or early Northern Super Sweet from Lindenburgs is maybe worth it. If you can get it to ripen first, you could capitalize on it a bit before the big growers offer any.
    I agree about potatoes. Not worth the ground space when competing with the farm growers of potatoes, though and early dug red potato or Yukon Gold might be a specialy crop with premium price. Onion...bunch onions as the earliest market offering goes fast. Buttercup squash? That's usually a reliable fall crop around here and it is suprisingly in demand.

Wow, you are doing good to have a good list of shares sold for CSA. Hoping that large cost seed investment pays off for you.

Are you planning to set out started plants or direct seed to the garden on most of your vegetables?

One more thing to consider. I'm not sure but if you did get carrot to seed it's likely to hybridize with queen anne's lace wild weed and that might kybosh the 'true' seed to plant following year. I've been told that locally, so it may or may not be so. Just a thought.

Rich

7. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

We are also growing for market but not a CSA. Carla Emery tried to get one started but no takers in our small area. We won't be growing corn, blackeyed peas or potatoes either. Our good luck plants were zucchini, cukes, melons, beets(didn't have many but lots of takers), okra, beans, peas, peppers (all kinds), eggplant, spaghetti squash, lettuce, sweet potatoes, and carrots.

8. WV Rebel

WV Rebel Well-Known Member