Ordering online for the homestead

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by urbanfarmer, Jul 25, 2006.

1. urbanfarmer

urbanfarmer Well-Known Member

Do you order anything online?

I order books from Amazon occasionally.

What are some of your favorite on-line stores?

2. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

I order stuff on-line all the time.

Amazon, lehmans, tractor supply, net flix, sears, ...

3. Tenn_Farmer

Tenn_Farmer Well-Known Member

I order so much stuff on-line the UPS guy knows my name. :) :p

4. Cashs Cowgirl

Cashs Cowgirl Well-Known Member Supporter

I can't stand going to the city only to find out they don't have what I need anyways...I'd rather spend the money on shipping and do the things I like to do around here!

I order online all the time.

5. Micahn

Micahn Well-Known Member

This day of age someone would be foolish not to shop online. A great example is a Metal detector I got a couple of years ago. I looked around town and got the very same one online $50 cheaper then any place around town had it. Even things you would not think about like fencing supplies and other things for farms you can find online. The only thing you have to watch for is shipping fees. But as most places you do not have to pay tax that can more and make up the difference.

6. Lizza

Lizza Well-Known Member Supporter

I shop online all the time.

I ordered 3 cases of snacks from Amazon last week (thanks Rose for the heads up about the coupon!) along with my Omnivores Dilema book (looks good but haven't read it yet, I have the Humanure Book from the library and Creating an Oasis with Greywater I'm trying to read too).

I love Lehmans (they have great customer service and wonderful return). I shop ebay but have had some problems with half.com sellers lately so I don't know if I'm going to keep shopping there. I also really like Zappos for shoes and Motherwear for nursing cloths (both I shop only at their clearance sections of course:)). Ordered all my chicks from McMurray online this year too.

I'm sure there are others. I prefer to do most of my shopping online. For me it makes sense because I can really take my time to research whatever it is I'm thinking of buying (I always search for reviews), search for the best price, and I don't have to waste any gas to do it.

7. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

Don't get me started about Amazon...I could easily blow a $1,000 on that site :)

8. busybee870

busybee870 Well-Known Member

With The Price Of Gas Now Its Cheaper For Me To Pay Shipping!! Sooner Or Later The Gas Companies Will Have To Go Back Down Because Everyone Will Be Shopping Online Lol

9. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

Aside from groceries, I do my shopping online. No driving, no crowds, I can comparison shop while sitting comfortably, take my time deciding on my purchases before I actually buy and the stores are never closed!

10. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

I shop online a lot. It has saved me a lot of time and gas.

Books are my weakness. I've stopped ordering temporarily. I'm taking three classes through Barnes & Nobel this summer. When I get through that reading I have a book I've been sent to review for a publisher, Omnivore's Dilemma and a few others sitting in a stack. My name is Robin and I'm a bookaholic. I shop through an online program that's giving me 10 points for every dollar I spend at B&N bookstore. I turn in points for a gift certificate to B&N, which I then spend online and earn more points. Shipping is free if you spend over $25. If there's a 12 step program for buying books, well, I'm not going! I've accomplished step one but that's all I'm willing to do.

We've bought small things like books, bigger things like my monitor (was delivered two days later, how can you resist?) and huge things like my vehicle. I did drive the vehicle before I wrote the check but all the dealings were done via email and phone. I was 99% sure I was going to buy it before I left home (the salesman was a friend from high school I'd lost touch with). My daughter gets gift cards (pre-paid credit cards sometimes) for Christmas and birthdays. She's used them to shop online for art supplies. UPS is here so often that my dogs know two of the drivers. One of the drivers is here so often the dogs let him set packages inside the door.