Orange tree sick

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by froggirl, May 29, 2006.

1. froggirl

froggirl Feelin' Froggy

Not sure where to post this so I thought I'd try here. Maybe one of you in a warmer climate can help me with this one. I have a miniature orange tree (tiny oranges on a tiny tree--not edible) that I bought when I went into town to buy my wedding dress 7 years ago...I'm pretty attached to the darn thing but it's developed a very messy problem: it seems to be weeping sticky sap like stuff. It started after I transplanted it into a new, larger pot. It looks like it's sweating the stuff from it's leaves and it makes a mess all over everything under the branches. Any ideas what's happening?
    Thanks!
    --f.g.

2. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Post in the gardening forum,they will know.

BooBoo

3. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

FG, When we lived in FL the orange trees would get a black sooty mold on the leaves and I had heard that the mold grew on the stuff the leaves exude. Maybe someone in the gardening forum will be more help. If that is true then I guess it's a natural thing. This is interesting to know because I was thinking of getting an indoor plant as I miss the aroma of orange blossoms, but now I'll have to rethink that! Rita

4. froggirl

froggirl Feelin' Froggy

Thanks, guys.....I'll move this on over to Gardening! :)
    --f.g.

5. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) Froggirl, don't forget your local county extension service..we have good ones in the Northwest...

Once you identify the plant I bet you figure it out..most of them do well in our area.

Goo luck.......LQ

6. froggirl

froggirl Feelin' Froggy

Hey, that's a great idea...I'll give them a jingle!
    Thanks! :dance:
    --f.g.

7. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) you're welcome! LOL We pay their salarie..might as well put them to work..... ;) My Western Gardening Book says these trees are subject to a number of pests as well as some fungi and also, overwatering can do them damage.

They are really pretty aren't they?

Hope you will let us know what you find out.

LQ

8. froggirl

froggirl Feelin' Froggy

Well, I sent them an email so hopefully they write back. I wonder if it is a fungus....I wasn't watering it as much as I should for a while and I thought that was the problem....hmm, it's a orange mystery! I'll let you know what they say.
    --f.g.