orange juice question

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by NancyinArkansas, Jan 22, 2007.

1. NancyinArkansas

NancyinArkansas Well-Known Member

Orange juice has gone up here so I wonder what can we drink that is just as good for the vitamin c. Thank you Nancy

2. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

All fruits and vegetables contain some amount of vitamin C. Foods that tend to be the highest sources of vitamin C include green peppers, citrus fruits and juices, strawberries, tomatoes, broccoli, turnip greens and other leafy greens, sweet and white potatoes, and cantaloupe.

Other excellent sources include papaya, mango, watermelon, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, cabbage, winter squash, red peppers, raspberries, blueberries, cranberries, and pineapples.

Look here:

http://www.naturalhub.com/natural_food_guide_fruit_vitamin_c.htm

3. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

IMO tomato juice is even better than orange, nutritionally, but not everybody likes it as much!

4. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

I like fruit and vegitable juices, but the acidity bothers me

5. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

For inexpensive stuff, you might try Sunny Delight or Hi-C. I think both have a low-sugar product and Sunny Delight now has sucralose (but don't know much about it). Most high vitamin natural drinks such as orange juice have become really expensive.

6. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

What is odd about the price increse. Is that most of the juice comes from Texas and Brazil. Fla. Orange juice omly has to have 8% juice from Fla. There are 8 Tanker loads of juice leaving Texas here in the Rio Grande Valley almost every day going to FLA. And its grown here. So Theres NO reason that the juice should go up. Except that the market is running scared.

7. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Citrus products took a big fall back in 1988 due to mass freezes, the central groves are now houseing areas. Only south area still produced much fruit.

8. Burbsteader

Burbsteader Well-Known Member

Rose hips, white pine needles.

9. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Rose hip tea for sure. I cant remember, used to know, was it pine needles or fir needles. I vaguely remember it being fir. Ok, quick search, guess we are both right!

"Pine needle tea, or balsam fir needle tea, for example, made a fine winter drink and had enough vitamin C to keep scurvy at bay in the long, hard winters, when stores of food were diminishing. Also the tannins, resins, terpenes and essential oils contributed to winter health in other ways besides adding vitamin C to meager diets. Such compounds made - and still make - good medicines for sore throats and coughs, for the congestion brought on by breathing in wood smoke particulates all winter, and for the pains of arthritis and rheumatism in the chilly, dark days."

10. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter