Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Used for rehydrating people who are vomiting or have diarrhea. Can be made at home.

6 level teaspoons of sugar

1/2 level teaspoon of salt

4 cups of water (1 liter)

Be sure to follow measurements exactly. Level means Level!! Dosage is as follows:

3 liters per day for adults
1 liter per day for children
1/2 liter per day for babies and toddlers.

This is the ORS recommended by CDC and used in West Africa for rehydrating ebola patients. It's ingredients we all have on hand, easy to prepare and cheap.
ORS was used by Ada Igonoh, the nurse in Nigeria that survived ebola. She tells in her account of the illness that she forced herself to keep drinking copious amounts to replenish herself while fighting this disease.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Along the same lines if you want to collect recipes. This is the old World Health Organization rehydration formula, used for many years in 3rd world countries to treat cholera. I have tested it with just heat related dehydration, it works wonders for that. Btw, I posted this a while ago on a forum and had the order wrong! Couldn't find the post to edit :)

3 finger pinch of sugar
2 finger pinch of baking soda
1 pinch of salt
1 pinch of potassium chloride (optional, NuSalt is one, does make it taste a little odd)
1 liter or quart of water.

·
Premium Member
4,293 Posts
Remember the whole enema thread? This is the time to remember it. If they refuse to drink. Put it in the rectum. The colon will absorb it. I can give Iv's to many but I don't know how to do a tiny baby like my 4 mth old. I don't know how to do a hep block. So I would start with enemas. Then attemp the hep block.

·
1/2 bubble off plumb
8,811 Posts
Another recipe:

We took foster kids when I was a kid. One year the flu went though our region - it was nasty. Since we had foster kids and lived across the street from the children's home my mom called their nurse and asked for suggestions for vomiting. The recipe she gave us made a huge difference and 30+ yrs later we still use it.

Fill glass 1/2 full with OJ
add 2 T of Corn Syrup
Top off with clear soda.

Take 1 t (yes, one teaspoon) every 15 minutes for 1-2 hours. If everything is staying down, then go to 1 t every 5-10 min. If still staying down then sip VERY slowly.....small sip every 10 or so minutes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts