Oral fixation (bottle babies)

Discussion in 'Goats' started by PlowGirl, Jan 12, 2007.

1. PlowGirl

PlowGirl Well-Known Member

This is the first year that I've had to raise orphan kids. I've previously milked the dams and bottle fed some kids that couldn't figure the whole thing out for a couple of days, but let them alone once they got the hang of things.

These me-raised kids are something else though. They are so mouthy. Please tell me this is a phase. They've got to be chewing on either my hands, my clothes, my hair or just up in my face constantly. It was cute, now it's not quite so. Will they grow out of this, or is there something I should be doing. Oh they're creep feeding wonderfully, not lacking for any nutrients, other than human flesh.

2. ChickenMom

ChickenMom Well-Known Member

My dam raised ones are that way, I thought they all were. I was told they "explore" with their mouths, I don't know.

3. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

It's normal, but now is the time to teach them not to get in your face or chew on you. Keep pushing them away, and if they climb up, put their legs firmly back on the ground. They need to learn manners and you are their momma, so you will have to teach them. Like you said, cute at first, not so cute when they are bigger...and potentially dangerous when they're adults. :)

4. Idahoe

Idahoe Menagerie More~on

My kids were all dam raised (bought them that way), and when they nursed full time, they did so for brief periods frequently throughout the day and night. Bottle babies wouldn't have that constant access.

Someone needs to develop goat binkies.

5. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

We don't call the little lovelys Pirrahnas for nothing! I set the lambar down in the pen of 12 and run!!! Once sucking, then I go around, set up their hind legs, touch their udder and get them used to standing correctly for the show ring :) I don't even start teaching them to lead or to stay 'down' until much older, for now enjoy them, they will be weaned fairly quickly. It's when they are young not yet yearlings that you really have to work on behavior, unlike bucklings who you start from day 1. Our LaMancha's were the only ones who continued to bite your clothes as aged does, they were always alot mouthier, biting the Nubians ears etc... Vicki

6. PlowGirl

PlowGirl Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the advice. So they WILL grow out of this?

I don't play with them. I've had goats for several years and one spoiled brat taught me a lifelong lesson. All the previous kids have been either meat(wild) or basically tractable, but not this overly "affectionate". I've been fortunate not to lose any does until this year.

I've thought about getting them a pacifier, but it would have to be made of titanium. Oh the things they can tear up.

They are great to handle. Come whenever they see or hear me, don't need to even call them. They MUST taste whatever part of me they can reach. Grabby little buggers, but I think I enjoy them anyway.