OR recycling question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ed Norman, Nov 11, 2006.

1. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

We get to Oregon about once a year. I noticed on a 2 liter bottle that OR has a 5 cent deposit. If we saved our bottles in Idaho, would OR pay us? Who takes them? Can we smash them flat?

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

By golly Ed, if you could get everyone you know to save their bottles for you, you might make enough to pay for the trip. Just to be on the safe side, take ample gas money with you when you leave!

3. cayenne47

cayenne47 Critter Mama Supporter

nope, somehow they are coded. we have family in washington that tried to save their bottles and cans for us. wont go thru the machines :(

4. Ed Norman

Drat. Another get rich slow scheme shot down.

Where do you take them for a refund? I got this bottle of Walmart soda and don't know where the code would be to say which Walmart sold it.

5. rivesjct3768

rivesjct3768 Well-Known Member

Hey Ed:
    Did you ever watch "Seinfeld"? There was an episode where Kramer and Newman join forces and manage to finagle a USPS LLV (Long-lived vehicle) and fill it to the gills with cans collected/stolen around the dumpsters and winos of New York City, that had a dime deposit payable in Michigan. Needless to say, they planned their road-trip with military precision, but their scheme goes awry and instead of "cashing in", they end having to "dump their load" to try and lighten the truck as they give pursuit to the mechanic that "stole" Jerrys' sports car.
    Apparently there have been "others" who have tried this with negative results; a pair of entrepreneurs from I believe Ohio, were arrested when they pulled this stunt a couple years ago around Ann Arbor/Detroit area; last I heard they went to prison. The law stipulates that the beverages have to be purchased in the state that has the deposit. Steps have now been taken with the bar code that "tells" the scanner whether the can/bottle was purchased in another state. If it doesn't show up as being"okay", it has no duty to compensate and will reject the can/bottle!! :shrug:

6. bare

bare Head Muderator

Sadly I tried the same thing a number of years ago. I took some cans and bottles from my moms place and put them one by one into the machine and light bulbs lit up. Next trip over I loaded up the back of the van with cans and bottles and made a visit to the machine in the store nearby. Wouldn't take a one of them and I still can't see how the stinkin' machine know if it's from Oregon or not!

My real complaint was I had to haul them all back because there were no dumpsters over there to put them in!

7. longing

longing Member

You can take it to any store that sells the same brand of pop. If it's a Walmart brand it'll have to go back to a Walmart, Safeway brand has to be returned to a Safeway store, Fred Meyer has to be returned to Fred Meyer. If it's the big national brands like Pepsi, Coca-Cola, Dr. Pepper, etc., any store will take them. They don't need to be returned to the particular store that sold them. :baby04:

8. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

This is not a problem in our area, the local stores accept returns from the other store brands. They both accept name brands like Pepsi or Wal-mart or BJ's brands, etc. We also have such a antiquated (but I like it!) store, that there are no machines. You hand each bottle over the counter to the clerk and she tosses them into a bin.

9. Wildwood Flower

Wildwood Flower Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK

I live in Oregon part time, and Oklahoma part time
    I sure wish they had the bottle bill in Oklahoma. It's a shame to throw away all of those bottles and cans. I guess they do recycle in some areas, but still...the deposit is such a good incentive.

My son used to make 2-3 dollars every Sunday morning, picking up the bottles and cans out back of the taverns around town (in Oregon).

10. Pink_Carnation

Pink_Carnation Well-Known Member

If the can says it OR 5cents you can return it in Oregon. I send cans home with my mom all the time, DO NOT crush them. The machines spit out the ones that are crushed and they have to be done by hand. Many places have started adding the refund notice on the cans so they don't have to worry about where the cans end up.

11. Shadow

Shadow Well-Known Member

Lets see, Ed Norman, Cayenne 47 and Bare O have admitted they all would commit fraud for a five cent deposit. Do people not realize that being dishonest for a nickle means better not let them around your other stuff. Good grief at least do not confess to the crime. Lets see how many others think think this is a good way to make extra cash, hey the salvation army is sitting up their collection things in front of some stores mabey you could get one of those in the trunk of your car mabey get a couple of dollars oh boy. idiots

12. Ed Norman

I use a blackjack to knock out the bellringer. Works real slick. Wait til the end of his shift, there are more nickels in the kettle.

You say it's okay if we don't confess to the crime. Is that the way you do it?

Idiot.

13. Shadow

Shadow Well-Known Member

You can think anything you want, you can say most anything you want as long as there is only you and the person you say it too, no recording no witnesses, but never, never write it down much less put out in public domain like the internet.
    Not saying I never did anything wrong, but I never wrote it down, never told everyone and I am probably an idiot.

14. naturewoman

naturewoman Well-Known Member

If you don't have to pay the deposit in your state, you can't redeem it by bringing it to a state that does, unless you can find a store that takes recycling without a machine. Very few stores will do that any more. The machines are used to eliminate fraud from states that don't pay the deposit. The barcode on the bottle indicates which state it was sold in, regardless of store brand.