Options for dealing with trespassers?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Randy Rooster, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Randy Rooster

Randy Rooster Well-Known Member Supporter

I have absolutely had it with hunters coming onto my land to "reclaim" thier hunting dogs- I post my property prominantly - the still drive over and past my signs on their 4 wheelers. Today I was physically threatened by one of them when I told him point blank to get the hell off my land.

Is it time to call the local police and if so what can they actually do if it is my word against theirs? Should I spike the trails on my land that they use? Should I shoot or capture thier animals if I can?

Ive had it and need to do something beyond argueing with these jerks.

68z28 likes this.
  2. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

I know how you feel. Unfortunately, you can't boobie trap your land. I wish Texas justice was still enforceable. Good luck.

3. FUNKY PIONEER

FUNKY PIONEER No I don't smell Funky

But you can put out hunting traps. :)

4. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Are they truely retrieving thier dogs? I do not know about your state, but in mine a hunter ALWAYS has the right to enter posted private property to retrieve a hunting dog. They do not, however have the right to actually shoot anything.

5. Morning Owl

Morning Owl Well-Known Member

I would call the police and ask them what you can do to legally stop them. Maybe if you take a picture of them on your property you could use that to press charges. :shrug: I will say it is NEVER a good idea to confront some one that has a gun. Not to tell you your business but people have been shot by hunters for confronting them and an arguement braking out. Please be careful Randy Rooster :)

6. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

Hunters that use dogs are generally the craziest of the lot. A friend of mine hunts bear, racoons, coyotes, and an occasional bobcat with his dogs. He is very protective of his dogs. He has racked up thousands of dollars in veteranarian expenses over the years, mainly from bears going berserk from being chased and attacking one or more of the dogs.
    When his dogs cross into someone elses property, he doesn't think he is doing anything wrong by retrieving them. Their response is something along the lines of "the dog can't read NO TRESPASSING signs". This is the mindset of a hunter using dogs.

You can threaten to gut shot one of his dogs. This will probably work. But it could have some bad effects. Lets face it, most of these types of hunters are not Harvard Magna Cum Laude graduates.
    My friend would definitely get bulled up if someone threatened to shoot one of his dogs, but without question he would make every effort possible to make certain his dogs NEVER wandered into THAT property ever again.

Another avenue is to immediately call the game warden. This is by far the scariest thing for a hunter of this type. Run-ins with the law are the last thing they want. It means the potential end to their favorite activity.
    This is the least confrontational activity and you certainly are within your rights to do so.

Make it a point to get photographic evidence. Try to get the hunters backtag in a photo, if possible.

Remember, if you give these crazy lunies an inch, they'll walk over you like they own the place. Never forget who owns the land.

7. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Hoop, you better look at the Wisconsin statutes......... :rolleyes:

8. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol Well-Known Member

Sorry, can't resist:

"Oh, couldn't make Summa Cum Laude ?"

SSS

9. dennisjp

dennisjp dennisjp

They have cameras that works by movement. Thay aren't cheap, but not super high either. They are usually used by hunters for getting data on the movement of deer and whatnot, for hunting sesson.
    If you got several pictures of the same person, take them to court for tresspassing. You can't keep loosing your dogs on the same tract of land.
    It worked in N.C. a couple of years ago and the hunters, 3 of them got something like 30 days or it may have been 60 days or what ever, but the guy taped a conversation of them pretty much telling the owner of the land to kiss thier !@#.
    But do be careful when confronting them. Hoop is right. Some of them think they are God when they have thier rifles in thier hands and the world belongs to them. If he has lost a couple of thousand dollars on one dog, and not shot anything, he may very well go home feeling like atleast I got one kill today. They love thier dogs better than thier "OLE LADIES". That's JMHO
    Dennis

10. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

Randy, You are talking to much--letting people know to much about your business----LOL--If you tell 1000 people you going to Do Something----And You Do---Then there is 1000 people that Knows TO MUCH----LOL. I had the same problem some years back-----Do what You Feel you need to do to protect your land(other than shoot/hurt someone or their dog) and Be Quiet about it---Don't Tell anyone---Especially US on this Forum---We will Give You the Third Degree. If someone gets a few Flat tires on their 4-wheeler on your property where you just happen to not bury them old boards with nails deep enough---Then "Things" happen. Good Luck!! But You can Stop it with Time and Keeping Your Mouth Shut To Everyone-I Told NO ONE what I Did. Maybe I Am Mean, But I was tired of being taken advantage of---My Crops ran over--things stolen, But I never Threatened any of the Tresspassers in anyway or ever threatened to flatten tires. If I seen a tresspasser---I would confront them and ask them nicely to not come back on my land, but they always did----For A While?? Good Luck!! Randy

11. Thumbbuddy

Thumbbuddy Well-Known Member

First thing I ask tresspassers on my property is to empty your gun since they are not allowed to be hunting and they are tresspassing, empty guns make a safer person to talk to, proceed from there with caution. Good luck

12. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

In Missouri they can not come on your property to Retrive Dogs,Wounded Game nothing without your Permission.But you can not Point a Firearm at them or Shoot their Dogs.

Best to call the Law.

big rockpile

13. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

How sad ! The poor dogs can't read !!

14. rickd203

rickd203 Well-Known Member

A section of electric along the area that they are coming onto your property will keep the dogs out. I would still put a camera since it sounds like these hunters are the type that would cut your fence. With pictures, you can charge them with trespassing AND destruction of private property.

15. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

If you do not bring law enforcement into the problem they will not be on your side if you have an unpleasant altercation.
    In general, I do not like contact with the police under any circumstances, but when it comes to trespassing I would talk to the local police entity and explain the problem and ask them whatt I can and cannot do.
    From that conversation you will be on record as having a problem and your butt will be covered better than the trespasser.
    Around here the sheriff will do more drive by's if you talk to them about the issue.

In another thread there was mention of leasing hunting rights to a person or club. Believe me, they will take better care of you land than you can imagine. As a hunter it pains me to hear of problems like this but there are crappy people in all walks of life,

Talk to the cops.....

16. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

Get your own dogs. Wire your property for invisible fencing, and turn you dogs loose 24-7. My dogs would likely shred any strange dog on "their" land.

Pete

17. bare

bare Head Muderator

Idaho has somewhat limited dog hunting, so it isn't the problem is once was, but if what the original poster described, happened to me, I'm afraid the pagan might come out in me and I'd have to sacrifice a chicken. Just before I sacrificed a dog.

18. pancho

pancho Well-Known Member

If there isn't any dog to retrive they will not have an excuse to come onto your property. Just be sure the dogs are never found. Many things can happen to a dog running in the woods. Make sure something does.

19. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

This reminds me of an incident I had when we moved onto this place a couple years ago. I noticed a truck parked on the edge of our field. I went to investigate. Fellow in hunting gear was sitting on the tailgate of his truck with his gun pointing toward our posted field. I stuck my head out the car window and asked him what he was doing. He assured me he'd been hunting on the other side of the creek (property line runs down the middle of a large creek) and his dogs crossed the creek. He said he was just sitting there waiting for his dogs.

I asked him what he was planning to do, shoot the dogs when they came over the creek bed? He left. Guess the "dogs" found their way home.

It's taken me and hubby two years of confronting folks and calling the sheriff's dept. but the word is out. Folks know they aren't welcome to tramp all over our property without permission. Those that do get their license plate number turned in to the sheriff's dept.

20. TedH71

TedH71 Well-Known Member Supporter

This is a sensetive subject with alot of people. I am a hog dog hunter that is slowly doing a transition to coon/squirrel hunting with a possibly mouse hunting for farmers/ranchers if I get a terrier. Right now, my best catahoula has been placed with a friend of mine who hog hunts in Texas because he was harrassing my girlfriend's older dogs and my blue lacy has been forced to retire due to being hit by a car in my front yard of all things. I'm hearing good things about mountain curs but do like hounds. Hog hunting isn't allowed in Kansas right now. As it is, when I hunt, I ask the landowners for the names of the people owning lands next to that owner's land for permission. 90% of the time, permission is granted because a vast majority of them are farmers/ranchers who have huge losses due to animals eating their crops or killing their livestock. The only animal I think that aren't nusiances are squirrels but they sure taste good! Alot of people rant about trepassing dogs but if you hunt with hounds (usually hounds not curs) tend to be good for huge tracts of property and some people have been raised to hunt with hounds and can't concieve the thought of changing breeds simply because they were raised that way. Hounds will chase animals over miles and miles of terrain while curs don't. If the fight takes them too far, they know and are smart enough to quit if the hog runs too far. Hounds won't quit. I know of one dog that ran 30 miles in one night! The only way he was found was by a radio tracker. Those hunting dogs are worth alot of money so my recommendation is to take in the dog with the collar on and wait. If the hunter is an ethical hunter, he or she will thank you for taking good care of the dog and you can tell them you would rather not have dogs on your proprety and a good hunter will RESPECT that! I have had a dog of mine chase a hog 3 miles off permitted lands and I was not able to locate the property owner in time so I took in the hog and dog then I located the property owner and asked him if he wanted the hog and he did. I consider that a fair trade. I try to contact landowners but sometimes there are cases when you can't..so you do your best. In Texas where I am from, you are allowed to go on private land to get your dog only as long as you are not armed. I'm not too sure about Kansas and will do research on that. Honestly, I think if hound dog hunters change to cur dogs they would not have problems like they do...nowdays there are many properties being built and less space for hound hunters. They need to change with the times.