Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since i've never seen anyone use a wood cook stove i have question or two about using a wood cooking stove. I'm looking at a margin stove out of michigan. Are the burner any thing like i'm used to on gas or electric stove ? Can i modularize my stove ? (wok , grill , griddle , deep fryer ). Is the whole cooking area hot ?

·
Premium Member
23,896 Posts
Well, I don't know anyhting about the stove you mention. I have use woodstoves for many many years so I'll try to help. The stove is flat on top, what you would consider a burner is also flat, if need be you can take out one of the rondels and place a pan directly over the flames, or you can load wood thru one, which is what I do. The hotest spot on the stove is right above the fire,so moveing a pan to the right is like turning down the heat. Yes the whole thing is hot. Except maybe the towel bar if you have one and the base of the stove. You can use a wok, grill ect. You can look for cast iorn pans,look on the bottem some have a thin ridge arround the bottem that will fit right in the "burner" hole. Bakeing in the oven- you will need to turn whatever you are bakeing, as it is the same issue with the heat, the side next to the firebox is the hottest. There should be a place under the oven to clean out the ashes( along with the regular ash box. Make sure you clean out this spot, so that the heat can circle the oven box. If your stove has a water resavor keep it filled even (so it won't warp) if you don't use the water. empty it when the season of cooking on the stove is over.Besides the damper in the stove, add another one in the pipe to get even a finer control of your stove.One of my favorite things to use for fuel is corn on the cob. If you do not have a stove yet, the 2 most important things to check when buying are the Grates and the wall in the oven near the fire box, these are the first to go.Best I can say, cooking on a woodstove is like , cooking on high all the time. You need to pay attention to it until it becomes second nature. If I can help anymore ,just ask :)

·
Premium Member
23,896 Posts
Smoke. Residue. You would probably open your damper all the way so it has really good draw power,to pull in the smoke. Think of as a gas grill flame up.

G

·
Trivets..use trivets..If you want to "lower" the heat, in addition to moving your pot/pan away from the heat off to the right of the firebox, get yourself some trivets..that allows you to leave a pot on the stove, yet have it not be directly on top of any hot surface..trivets come in all sizes and heights..:)

·
Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate
18,474 Posts
I have cooked on a wood cook stove for 30 years, year around. I'd be glad to answer any questions you have.
The area over the fire is warmer than further to the right. You regulate the heat by where you place the pan. Anything you spill will burn up or can be cleaned with a brass wire brush.
You'll get into the habit of starting a fire, put the pan on the stove to heat up, then gathering the stuff you need to cook. I have to be careful when I cook on a gas or electric, I turn on a burner, set the fry pan on the heat and start pealing potatos or some such, only to discover that I'm burning up my pan. I rely on being able to regulate the heat by moning the pan, so tend to run the gas/electric too hot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts