Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a female Shih Tzu under a year old and a male Cairn Terrier. Muffin is in her first heat. This morning my wife saw them tied. We never planed to mate them.
First question. Is there a morning after pill for a dog? Or, if not what are our options? We don't have a huge pile of bucks for a vet.
My wife is in bad mood right now. :flame: And I am being open minded about it.
Thanks in advance for any ideas.

·
Incubator Addict
3,111 Posts
If you don't have the money for a vet, you don't have a lot of options. Especially with a young, small breed dog, a pregnancy can be VERY expensive. You have to consider the possibility of an emergency c-section.

Your best bet would be to talk to a vet and have the dog spayed early in the pregnancy. The way I understand it there is a drug that causes abortion of the litter, but it also makes it very likely for the dog to have uterine infections in the future. If you can't keep an intact dog from accidentally mating, you need to have it spayed anyways, so I would just bite the bullet and pay the costs for the spay surgery.

Kayleigh

·
Registered
475 Posts
I agree with ******. If you don't have a lot of money for vet work...get them both fixed.

The 'morning after' shot often results in a pyometra in a later heat cycle and then you have a medical emergency and a huge medical bill. Allowing the litter to be born is an option however there is always the fear of a c-section....another costly alternative. Spaying while pregnant will be slightly more expensive than when not pregnant however it is tiny compared to a c-section in two months or a pyo emergency in a year or two.

If you decide to allow the litter to be born there is the expense of the litter. As a responsible breeder, you will need to start worming at about two weeks old and vaccinate before going to their new homes. If you do the work yourself you can save money but you will still be putting a lot of money into the pups before they go to their new homes. Then there is the added cost of food for mom and pups. And of course lets not forget the mess that pups make that requires extra time for the caretaker.

Willow101

·
Premium Member
4,549 Posts
Call animal control and every rescue in the phone book about low-cost spay. Also, call every vet to see what they charge. There can be several hundred dollars difference between vets. I've been quoted every thing from at cost, 30 (kiss that vet, they are getting nothing for their time and taking a loss if it's not 100% routine) to 450 - that's a world of difference!

There is a shot. What it does is cause the body to reject the babies and must be done quickly. The risks (as I understand them) are, since the bitches cervix is open there is a chance of bacteria getting in and causing infection Or, that the babies die and are not expelled, but begin to rot inside the mother - solution in both cases; either an intensive round of antibiotics and to flush the uterus or more simply and far cheaper, spay.

So really your cheapest option is to get her spayed. Any of the push-faced breeds are known for having a high incidence of complications in labor at the best of times, and bred on her first heat is not the best of times. And if you think the spay is expensive, I guarantee that the C-section if FAR more expensive, and unless you are very cold (which I doubt, I'm sure you love this little girl) you are not going to be able to stand by and watch her suffer and die. So better to find a cheap spay now, then be frantic at the vets in a couple of months wondering how you'r going to save her.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My wife is a little more calm now that we have had you all's fine advice.
We will have her spayed. We weren't going to breed her and this sort of slipped past us.
My first thought had been the shot. Then I remembered the side affects woman are having with the morning after pill.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts