Opinions wanted

Discussion in 'Weight Loss Forum' started by Oregon1986, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Oregon1986

Oregon1986 Well-Known Member

Yes I've learned to eat before going shopping

Amanda_W likes this.
  2. emdeengee

emdeengee Well-Known Member

After years of struggling with weight I was finally able to lose it and keep it off by simply never allowing myself to get really hungry. I ate/eat three meals and up to three snacks. You do not have to increase your food intake but simply divide up your food so that you have something to eat between breakfast and lunch and lunch and supper. And keep something back for those times when you get hungry after supper. If you are never really hungry you do eat less.

Also have patience. Changing your eating habits - whichever food plan you decide to follow - takes time. At least 3 weeks to get out of old habits and then the longer you are eating new foods the less you want the old foods.

Portion sizes are vitally important not just to keep within caloric counts but to ensure that you are getting the proper nutrition. I still weigh or measure everything. I purchased long handled measuring spoons to use as serving spoons and this works great at controlling portion sizes.

Oregon1986 likes this.

3. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

They say three times is the charm! I started out on Atkins myself, but now follow the Ketogenic plan which is low carbs and high fat. Never felt better. The science behind this is that fat satisfies you and causes you not to be hungry. Honestly I forget to eat sometimes. If you are hungry you eat and there is no worry about eating junk food because once you become "fat adapted" you won't even desire it. I hope you do well starting out. Many times people quit because they slipped, but the key is to just get back onto it.

Nsoitgoes and Oregon1986 like this.
  4. Oregon1986

Thank you. Are you doing it long term or just as a means of loosing few extra pounds? I've found I'm rarely hungry and I actually crave water

5. Oregon1986

Friday is weight in day and I'm actually excited because I feel better already. I'm proud of myself for not giving up when I pass cookies that I swear are screaming my name or when the craving for dew hits me and knocks me on my butt

6. Oregon1986

What are your go to snacks

7. emdeengee

emdeengee Well-Known Member

I am a lacto,(dairy) ovo (eggs) pesco (fish) vegetarian and I also really like my carbs - especially bread, pasta, rice and fruit. I did the Atkins plan about 25 years ago but it did not work well for me. It worked wonderfully well for my Dad. He lost 30 lbs in about 6 weeks and never gained it back. However sometimes I see that I need to improve my protein intake.

My snacks are always small. Just enough to take the edge off the rumbly tummy. They include fruit - staying within the daily recommended allowance - and sometimes 1/3 cup of plain yogurt with the fruit especially when I have berries. Nuts and seeds or all kinds ( almonds, pecans, walnuts, hazelnuts, cashew, pistachios, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and hemp seeds) and this includes a teaspoon to half a tablespoon of peanut butter on a whole grain cracker or with half a banana.

I also love to eat what we call " dippy veggies". Lots of low calorie veggies cut into finger food sizes and dipped into any salad dressing that you like. I mostly go for olive oil, red wine vinegar and Dijon mustard. This takes a long time to eat and really fills you up. I also sometimes eat a hard boiled egg and when our friend makes his salmon jerky I like to chew on that. When my Dad was on Atkins my Mom made a lot of meat jerky for him to snack on and he liked it so much that he continued to eat this as a snack. She never used soy sauce or liquid smoke.

In the winter I will often have a bowl of veggie soup in the afternoon - very low in fat and calories - or a small bowl of bean chill. By small I mean about half a cup of chill. At first small portions seem, well, really small, but eventually you do get used to eating less.

Oregon1986 likes this.
  8. Oregon1986

I love dippy veggies,lol. Tomorrow I weight in and I'm feeling good. My clothes are already fitting looser and I've got a lot of energy

emdeengee likes this.