Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my new cages from Kbubertanz and the instructions say to assemble it with the floor panel oriented in a way that ends up with the rabbit standing on the side with the wider gaps. As I've read here (and makes sense to me) it's best to put the narrow gaps up so it's easier on the rabbits feet. I can only assume that they say to do it the other way so it's sturdier? (Yes, I'm sure. Checked and re-checked)

What would you do? Follow directions or go for comfort?

These cages have 14g GAW floors instead of the 16g GBW floors that Bass and K&W had, so already pretty sturdy floors. I don't think I would lose much by installing "upside down".

I need to assemble at least one cage tonight so I can seperate my Angoras or I might have to change my female's name to Juno!

Kat

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
I would put the narrow gaps up so it's easier on the rabbits feet. The slight loss of support shouldn't make a difference in the life of the cage . All of our commercial made cages are small gap up.

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
I don't think it makes any difference in strength which side is up. All things being equal I would give the comfort of the rabbit priority.

I always read the instructions when I put stuff together but I usually end up using them as a guide and find my own way of doing it, which, of course, is MUCH better than the way it was designed....:p

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After putting the one cage together last night, I think the reason they said to do it the way they did was so the wires would align for easier clamping with the J clips. I could see while I was doing it that having it the other way up would allow the wire I needed to be closer so it would be easier to to grab in the J clip. But it was not that much trouble and worth it to know they will have the extra comfort. I checked each side with the palms of my hands, and they narrow gap side is much more comfy.

1 down 5 to go. But I also have to attach the stacking hardware and pan slides. Guess what I'll be doing today?

Kat

1 - 4 of 4 Posts