Opinions Please: To repair or not to repair car.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Queen Bee, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

We had lots of car troubles in Dec., One of the cars is 15yrs. has 190K, it's four wheel drive, needs a new transmission. (probably 500-700$) The motor isn't great but it did get me back and forth to work. Second car is a 1990 Geo Tracker,250k also 4wd, it is great on gas but has no aircondtion and rides like a horse and buggy.. It needs motor work and has a clutch problem..

We have a 2002, pickup (we purchased new and it is paid for)...

My question is would you have the cars repaired or just purchase a new/different one.... DH uses the truck (because it is most reliable and he has to travel over 100 miles daily.)

We have been going back and forth about purchasing a new one but I hate car payments but need something I can depend on (It gets very 'old' ,, quickly when you can't get to work on time or have to end up call someone to tow you in very couple of days... )

Thanks for your opinions...

2. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I would say the Geo is junk.You didn't say what the other one was.Wheather it was Manual or Automatic Transmission.

You probably can't get another for $700.I don't even think about miles.I would say fix the Transmission.

big rockpile

3. clovis

clovis Well-Known Member

My opinion only....

I would junk both the 4 wheel drive (Nissan?) and the Geo. What are they really worth if they were running fine and you sold them today? I bet the repairs are more than they are really worth.

What would insurance give you if someone hit you? Insurance would total these vehicles even if you had a small wreck. I would hate to think that I would loose all my repair money if this happened.

I think you have been fortunate to have had these vehicles last this long...190k and 250k? Wow, I would count my blessings and buy another used car, and try to stay out of debt as much as possible.

Again, just my opinion.
    clove

4. Terri in WV

Terri in WV Well-Known Member Supporter

south central Kentucky(finally out of all the snow
    You might want to consider going to a government auction. I got my van at one(94 Astro) for $2700 with 54,000 miles. I had to do a few minor repairs but I'm very pleased and my mechanic says I got a great deal. My mom is happy with her jeep and my bro likes his truck. This is the only way I'll get a vehicle from now on(or at least as long as they keep having them!)

5. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

Thank you! Thanks for your opinions and the suggestions..Debbie

6. Thoughthound

Thoughthound Well-Known Member

Try to put a price on reliability. How much is it worth in dollars to not be inconvenienced or stuck out in the middle of nowhere?

I definately wouldn't do any more with the Geo. It will need a new engine soon.

And do the math before buying anything. Actuaries calculate the devaluation of autos over time, and you can bet with time every auto will need more repair.

You may hate payments, but if you don't do repairs yourself, you may find that a 1-2 year old vehicle is actually the least expensive in the long run.

A good 5 year old is assumed to have half of its expected life used up. In this day and age, you could run into a crapload of problems with pumps, electrical malfunctions etc., because cars have so much stuff on them to break down.

If you want cheap transportation, consider taking auto repair classes and buying a good conditioned vehicle built before 1975. The fewer parts, the fewer things can go wrong.

That being said, you have to buy one with a good working reputation and one that parts are easily found.

I have a 1952 International--a company that used to use the same parts in vehicles, tractors, trucks and school buses. So common that I can still buy parts from auto stores. No AC though. I estimate I've invested about $1100 in it during the last 5 years.

I also have a 1997 Volvo that I bought 5 years old and it has cost me thousands in repairs above the sticker cost. Do I really need electric seat warmers and wipers on the headlights?

Now Lexus makes cars with headlights that turn when you go into a curve. So... how much do you think it will cost when a lamp burns out?