Opinions on Southern Yellow Pine

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by SouthernThunder, Jan 16, 2005.

1. SouthernThunder

SouthernThunder Well-Known Member

I was wondering if anyone has done any construction with Southern Yellow Pine. SYP is cheap and easy to work with but some people say when it dries it twists very badly. Other people say it is managable with proper log construction methods. I am wanting to build a modest log home with it this summer and was just looking for opinions by people with experience. Thanks!

2. saltytodd

saltytodd New Member

Hi , you shouldnt have any problems with it, I use it all the time . We build triple story decks ,beams etc . most of the lumber is air dried and then sent to get it treated for ext. use. We recently were using a large quantity of 8x8 by twenty two feet and they postponed the project for a year the lumber layed in the weather for a year and we stacked it properly and was as straight as we first recieved it. I have seen some crazy twist in some but its usually a bad cut from the saw mill. Good luck Todd

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

SYP is an excellent building product. Have you ever looked at any building trusses? They are made from yellow pine due to strength and density of the wood. The SYP is more difficult to nail and is heavier to handle therefore many builders prefer spruce not wanting to expend the energy.

4. Thoughthound

Thoughthound Well-Known Member

Makes beautiful floors.

5. jukebox

jukebox Well-Known Member

Go to "GOOGLE" and do a search for "Wood Borers".

6. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

We used treated SYP for our front porch and several of the 2X6's that we used for the flooring bowed really badly. I think SYP is such a strong wood that if it decides to twist or bow, no amount of screws, lags, or nails will hold it down. I imagine if you had a rouge log in your log wall that decided to 'misbehave' you could end up with some problems-one log (depending where it was located) might move a whole wall--and that wouldn't be good!!