Opinions on Geo/Chev Tracker

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Janon, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Janon

Janon 993cc Geo Metro

Anyone ever own a early to mid 90s Tracker? Any thoughts?

cheers and thanks,

2. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

I have a friend who had a two door ragtop tracker. It was painted bright yellow and he named the truck Tonka. The fuel milage was never very good for something that small, but all it had was a four banger and a three speed automatic. The slightest crosswind would have Tonka scooting all over the road. I doubt if aerodynamics were taken into consideration during the design of that truck. Tonka was mechanically reliable, and the 4 wheel drive worked great, even in the snow belt. The hubs were not automatic, so he had to get out and turn them with pliars to get in and out of 4wd. The truck is still around. My friend sold it to his daughter who was stationed in England. A truck that small was great for the narrow streets over there.

3. Countrybumpkin

Countrybumpkin Well-Known Member

one word comes to mind...rust! Those things rust faster than a chevy truck! Had a friend w/ a tracker...things ended up rusting under the hood, where the front shocks mount...bad news! They are made w/ such light guage metal...beware!

4. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

I like the body design of the rag top Tracker/Sidekick. Have large side doors for such a small vehicle. I am not a small person and I fit quite well in one. Not rust prone area where I am so cant speak to that. Engine is might on small side for vehicle and people tend to drive them flat out on hiway to keep up with traffic. If treated well and not driven flat out all time, they will last ok. Not like Toyota, Honda, and Mazda, but ok. I've heard they get 25-30mpg hiway. Think closer to an honest 25. Oh, there are two or three kits available (think one kit is superior to the others from what I read) to put a VW watercooled engine in them. Either gas or diesel. They say with the old non-turbo 1.5 VW diesel, they can get up to 45mpg. Guess that would be way to go if you needed super economical 4wd. Though turbo VW diesel would be better for drivability.

I was really considering a Sidekick/Tracker or even an old Samurai but they go quite pricey for what they are around here. Also I decided a small 4wd pickup would be lot more functional for my needs. When I ran across a super cheap 4wd Ranger with solid body, I went that direction. Didnt even wait around to see what the Tracker sold for at same auction. Figured I probably end up with with either the Ranger or the Tracker as stuff was going fairly cheap that night.