Opened the hive for the first time

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by Abouttime, May 21, 2006.

1. Abouttime

Abouttime Well-Known Member

Is it normal for some foundation (being worked) to be attached to the inner cover when you open the hive? I had read that after only 2 weeks this would/should not happen. The bees were very busy, but mostly in the center. I removed the Queen cage and scraped the foundation off the inner cover, putting it back in the hive, along with the bees attached, added a super and closed it up. I was unable to add the center frame due to the scraped foundation. I was having issues keeping my smoker going and the bees were sounding unhappy. What should I have done and what can I now do to correct this?

2. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

What you had was burr comb the girls built where the frame was missing for the queen cage.
    :) Get that smoker going, takes pratice to do at first. I can't give you any hints as I don't know what you are useing for fuel.
    Open the hive and remove that burr comb you placed in the hive(stuff you scraped from the inter cover). Place a frame of foundation back in that open space.
    The burr comb you removed will most likely have bees on it so shake them back into the hive too, you may have to use your bee brush to get them all off.
    :dance: Every one gets stung, so don't worry about it happening, we all get over it. Some Like me no longer swell up nor itch afterwards we have been stung so often.
    Save that burr comb to melt down for candle wax.
    :D Al

3. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

How big was the comb you scraped?

Bees live to glue everything together!

Practice lighting your smoker and keeping it going for a long time whenever you're working outside.

4. Abouttime

Thanks for the responses-I was "trying" to use the twine from hay bales for smoker fuel. The comb I scraped was minimal-perhaps 2x4".

5. alleyyooper

Baleing twine should bee good smoker fuel. Trick is to get the bottom part lit. I use cedar chips and lite a bit at the bottom and let it flame then cover the flames with more which makes smoke. pump the bellows a few times every so often. Back to the baleing twine, make a little wad set it on some burning news paper to get it going good then add a bigger wad. After some time you will be able to judge just how much to use for the job you want to do.
    I also made a plug out of some dowel to plug the smoke port so the smoldering chips goes out when I am done.

6. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

So that comb is on the floor of the hive now? Are all the frames in and pushed tightly together?

Make sure that twine isn't treated with insecticide. A bit of cotton cloth, lit, and then the twine should work.

7. Abouttime

Thanks for the advice on using the twine in the smoker-definitely not treated with anything.

Yes, that's correct-comb (2x4") on the hive floor-No, I didn't put the additional frame in when I took out the Queen cage, due to the unexpected comb covered with bees on the inner cover. Other than that, yes pushed tightly together.

8. alleyyooper

As I said get that burr comb out of there and put the extra frame inplace or your going to have a huge bunch more burr comb.

9. Abouttime

Thanks, Al-it's done!

10. alleyyooper

Good deal, now they will only make bridge comb which is easy to deal with. Carry some thing to put it in after you scrap it off.
    Pratice with that smoker, always handy to have it going even if you don't need to use it on extra gentle hives.