Opened CD/T Bottle...how long lasting?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by TexCountryWoman, Mar 8, 2005.

1. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Howdy yall, I haven't been able to visit this board because my computer and isp have both been causing me grief, but I made it online today.

My question is: I purchased a bottle of CD/T vaccine and gave my 4 pregnant does their annual injections of 2cc each (also my 2 bucks). I gave the shots about 3-4 weeks prior to due dates. Then i noticed that the bottle said "must be used up immediately" or something like that. I used to be a practicing RN and know that some things DO HAVE TO BE THROWN OUT, but that sometimes you can get away with keeping something a bit longer if sterile techneique and refrigeration are used. I would like to not have to invest in another vial of CD/T vaccine when the kids come (also, this was one of my does 1st injection ever as she came from someone who didn't give shots).

Should I throw out this fairly new bottle and by a new one so soon again just to be safe. Money is an issue for me but I don't want to give an injection that has lost it's p[otency or has become contaminated. I sure hope i can get back online to read yalls responses!

BTW all four of my does are heavy pregnant and doing well, due end of March and 1st week of April...about a three week spread.

2. tduerson

tduerson Well-Known Member

There are several Vaccines and other Meds. that says this. What I do is this.

When i open a bottle that says this I insert a clean and sterile needle and I never pull it back out. I simply screw on a syring and draw out what i need and unscrew the syring leaving the needle in the bottle. This way the product stays sterile and no contamination is done, because the same needle is always used. I also keep things in fridge.

Even though I do this with products that says One Time Use I do it with all to keep contamination down.

Tina

3. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

I just bought some CD/T Monday. The vet said as long as you use a sterile needle it should keep aways beyond the expiration date. But if you contaminate it, it will not last very long.

Thanks for the tip on keeping the needle in the bottle, tduerson. I was wondering how many sterile needles I would have to use :rolleyes: .

4. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

You should use a new sterile needle on each goat. If not, the goats done last are getting stuck with a very dull needle.

5. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

Yup each goat deserves its own needle ;)

6. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I would think that leaving a nice hollow needle in the bottle is creating a pathway for microorganisms, rather than keeping them out. It should be much safer to simply use a sterile needle each time you draw from the vial...especially since you need that new needle for each goat, anyway.

Meg

7. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

My bottle of CD&T states on the label that it is to be stored between 35-45F, so I keep it in the fridge. Yes, it also states to use the entire contents immediately upon opening but I use what I need and then it goes back into the fridge. It also has an expiration date, but I've always used it up before it expired. Jeffer's is quite inexpensive $5.49 for 50ml.

I agree about not leaving the needle in the bottle. The rubber will 're-seal' and prevent contamination. Every goat should receive a new, sterile needle for every injection.

Don't forget to have epinephrine handy when you give injections. Another cheap one- $2.95- no excuse not to have it.

8. tduerson

9. GoatsRus

GoatsRus TMESIS

There are some meds that you can mix together using one syringe/needle - thus saving on your cost. With regard to leaving a needle in the bottle, I agree that that is creating a path for germs. I did however, work for a vet who would put the sterile needle in the bottle and draw up a syringe - remove the syringe, get new syringe and draw up another one etc... until you've drawn up all your syringes. What this did is prevent putting in 100 (as with the case above) new holes in the rubber top by only making one hole for the first and only needle. Doesn't save on cost, but cuts down the contamination aspect.

10. tduerson

I do not "MIX" meds., but i will draw one med and give to animal then draw next med. if needed with same syring and use the same needle for the same animal for the second shot then the needle is disposed of. I regret every giving my opinoin on this post. It seems like everyone is putting my idea's down. I thought this is what the forum was all about, listing your opionons and idea's for other's concideration. I guess I will just ask for advice and read post's and keep my idea's to myself from now on.

Tduerson

11. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

Tduerson,
    Please don't stop posting. If everyone felt this way, this list would be blank. We can't learn from each other unless we post.

The original question by TexCountry Woman asked for help. Several offered their opinions and stated their management practices. I'm sure TexCountryWoman will read them all and make her own informed decision.

That's what this list is for.

12. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Yes, thanks for ALL of yalls opinions. I now feel comfortable witth keeping my freshly opened bottle of CD/T in the fridge, where I keep it, and using it again when I need it again soon. I don't have any "epi" but know I am in need of some. Thanks again.

....I have four very pregnant does and I am eagerly counting the days!