Open range woes

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Lisa in WA, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

Grrrr....It's always something. This morning someone's cattle broke down our land's perimeter fence and while we were trying to round them up and move them off our place, they ran down to the barn and spooked the horses in the paddock. Lucy, the 16.2 hand two year old, broke down the gate and gashed herself up and all the others jumped the wreckage, one Paint cutting himself up in the mess. They are all calm now and we're waiting for the vet (60.00 plus a dollar a mile for a ranch call) but the cattle owners have no responsibility whatsoever for the damage. It's open range here. We can't even legally pen them up to wait for the owners. Doe snayone else think open range is a pretty antiquated law? When our sheep got out and got into the neighbor's flowers, we made good on it for them.

2. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

What a mess! I hope your horses will be ok.
    I used to shoot my shotgun in the air to **** the cattle away from our round bales, etc. Now I found that rattling a plastic grocery bag does the trick too.
    They aren't free range around our house, our closest neighbor seems to like to buy fence jumpers. grrr. :)

3. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

What about telling the neighbors , What cows? and then have them over for A barbque.

4. vegascowgirl

vegascowgirl Try Me

Being free ranged, the cattle should be branded. Find out who's brand it is and you'll have your owners. Take some pictures of whatever damage is done AND the cattle on your land. Not saying this will get a response from the owners, but you might find that they will help if they can. If nothing else (if aproached respectfully) they might offer some help and ideas on how to keep any cattle out.

I quite frankly like open range. But I grew up around it in AZ and NV. Around here they fence everything off. :Bawling:

hope your horses heal nicely.... :hobbyhors

5. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

I'm sorry about your horse, I hope she heals well.

This is the first place I've lived that was not open range. I always had a good cowdog or two that would push the cattle back through the hole in the fence and bark until the cattle moved on or I came out and fixed the fence.

6. bbbuddy

bbbuddy Well-Known Member

In AZ, if you have up the state required minimum for fencing, the cattle owner is then responsible for damages to your property. If you build any other type of fence, they are off the hook.
    The minimum is, I believe, a 3 strand barbed wire, with posts set 15' apart. Must be a certain weight wire.

Might check your laws...

7. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

My filly is okay, she has a puncture in her knee joint and is on antibiotics, etc.
    We had no problems with open range when we lived in Arizona, but it's been said around this area that it's ridiculous for this part of Idaho to be open range. It isn't grassland like it is in the rest of the state...it's mountains and forests here. Not the greatest cattle country. We called a deputy to find out who owned the cattle and he told us about a case just north of us where a guy deliberately let his cattle loose to be hit by tourists on the highway. He'd then make them pay inflated prices to replace the cow. Finally, the Forest Service pulled his lease.