Open Pollinated Corn

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by JAS, Aug 31, 2004.

1. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

We planted some old-fashion corn this year mainly for the pigs and so I could keep some seed off of it. Wow, I didn't know corn grew like this. Everyone comments on it when the drive into the yard. It is just now getting ears on so I don't know how productive it is. Here is a picture of my seven-year-old and three-year-old standing in the corn!

[​IMG]

2. diane

diane Well-Known Member

Wow....nice stand of corn!! So, what kind did you plant?

3. Chikin

Chikin Member

WOW, do you know how tall it is?

4. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Wow! Those are the shortest kids I've ever seen! :haha:

What kind is that? I grew some bloody butcher, and some got to be about 11-12 ft.

5. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

Ok, just measured it--12 feet and 2 inches! (Don't know why I haven't measured it until now?)

I got the seed from RH Shumway's. It is called Silver King or Wi No 7. It is a white field corn. I went for the shortest growing season for open pollinated corn, not the hybrids.

We did run the pigs in the garden last year to clean it up. That's about where the corn is--suppose that helped a little.

6. lessard

lessard Member

i cannot believe that the picture is real...kids look so small...sure it is not a joke? :haha:
    What is the average height of commercial corn?

7. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Alot of the sweet corns only get like 4-5 ft. tall, but some of the old field corns and stuff will get as tall as that picture.

8. diane

diane Well-Known Member

Ours will grow really tall like that...the open pollinated field corn, especially where there is lots of manure. The funny thing is how the ears will be anywhere on the stalk.......including way up high where we can't reach it without knocking the stalk down to hand pick. That's why we only save seed from corn that has the ear where we want it...(where we can reach it). It works......after a few years you get just what you want if you only save seed from corn that shows the characteristics you want.

9. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

You are right, I was looking at the ears the other day trying to see the pattern of development--there was none that I noticed. The ears are developing nicely, most are over a foot long with very few diesease problems. Most stalks have two ears, some have three.

The pigs are enjoying them, I just pull a few stalks out and toss to them. They also are enjoying the mangels that I planted just for them (the plant in front of the corn in the picture). Need to try turnips next year.

Someone stopped by and mentioned going to an oldtimers festival (not sure what it was called) where they have demo's on things/ways that use to be. He said they had a demo on old time corn and the new hybrids. Said the old corn was huge like mine and the hybrids were short. The hybrids have been bred to fit modern machinery.